Skip to main content

Kiwi tractor

More
14 years 8 months ago #13710 by VicHung
Kiwi tractor was created by VicHung
I'm not too sure whether this belongs under the Truck heading or Other Machinery one as it's a bit of a bitza!

A while ago I came across this truck and farm tractor parked at a Shell truck stop in the middle of the North Island, the tractor on the back of the Dodge was registered as a "Four Wheel Drive farm tractor" and had a current Warrant of Fitness; because the FWD has suspension it is permitted to travel at, and regularly does, 70 km/h on the main road like a JCB Fastrak. Both the truck and the tractor are in regular use; as you can possibly see the FWD is fitted with a side mounted mower and had been out cutting grass for hay that day.

As far as I could see, the only genuine FWD part is the radiator, and I have been told the chassis and engine were originally part of a 1920s Buick.

The little white International in the distance in the bottom photo is the same one that is parked beside my International in my avatar at the top.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #13711 by huppypuppy
Replied by huppypuppy on topic Re: Kiwi tractor
Vic,

YR9730 is not a English Dodge with the LAD cab on it now, is it??? If so, keep AW in WW away from it - he loves LAD cabbed trucks!

Joe

More
14 years 8 months ago #13712 by VicHung
Replied by VicHung on topic Re: Kiwi tractor

Vic,

YR9730 is not a English Dodge with the LAD cab on it now, is it??? If so, keep AW in WW away from it - he loves LAD cabbed trucks!

Joe

It is indeed, Joe, and what's more it has a Leyland engine in it as well!

I reckon that cab should really be called a LADS cab as Scammell also used it once, so Leyland Albion Dodge Scammell ;D ;D ;D

More
14 years 8 months ago #13713 by Atki-vated
Replied by Atki-vated on topic Re: Kiwi tractor
Hey Vic,

Those images are great...Kiwi ingenuity at it's best, surely that machine had some number 8 fencing wire holding something on somewhere...and I reckon the tractor mower thing would too :D Just kidding...the tractor mower thing looks like a good 'save' for someone.

That Dodge epitomises the typical 60's - early 70's Kiwi rural truck rigged with a tipping deck (under body hoist?), removable sides for fertilizer and road metal, a demountable stock crate and there's not much you couldn't carry! :P

No doubt in it's day it would have towed a 2 axle trailer as well (dog trailer) ahhhhh :D

Time to create page: 0.449 seconds