Skip to main content

Tankers I drove in the 60s

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #13751 by Atki-vated
Here ya go Swishy,

A page of Pacifics, well actually it's the 6 lives of one 1976 Pacific P610 which was still goin' strong in 2005. A life haulin short logs, long logs and livestock. This one powered by a NTC350 Cummins

Pacific in Kiwi land were assembled by International Harvester NZ and, while most were off road logging road trains, the P610 was a model that was 'street legal' ::)

International not in OZ
But sold in NZ for 5 years or more...could be here once the Navistar, Cat, Iveco thing is sorted. Could give the Argosy a run for it's money :D

...This one is already towing a Linfox B double

Other US trucks in NZ and (maybe) not in OZ;
  • Autocar, a small number imported in early 80's for max weight agitator and bulk tip & trailer work ( I will find pics)
    • International 2010A ex USA, came with V8 petrols, repowered with Cats & NH250
      • International DCF400 powered by 8V71's (were they in OZ too?)
        • International Transtar 4070A, a few privately imported 1970's
          • A favourite of mine the cab-over White 3000
            • A (one only) Dart for heavy haulage

There could be more and some of these coulda been here...I've been wrong before, like in back in May 1982...but that's another story....
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by Atki-vated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 8 months ago #13752 by Swishy

Breuce de AtkiFan
GuddayM8

the truck list me thinks we had m all xcept may the Dart (Dart later owned by Kenworth)
I have a brochure of the Dart loaders n trucks
we had about 6 White 3000 thru the years but not many pix

bout 1960

Best thing to happen to an underpowered POS

Cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

14 years 8 months ago #13753 by
Replied by on topic Re: Tankers I drove in the 60s

• International DCF400 powered by 8V71's (were they in OZ too?)

Yep, quite a few actually, the old snoopy truck wasn't a good jigger in their day, a bit pricy for them days.
Drove one of 'em here in Brisbane for a while, was an ex Golden Fleece prime mover with a 6 V 71 fitted, straight thru 6 inch pipe with a useless muffler, boy did it holler/bellow with about 25 ton of paper on it's back.
The only real down side was it kicked like a mule when running empty, the wheelbase was only 120 inch and it was fitted with a Hendrickson walking beam suspension too. Brings tears to me eyes just remembering the rough riding mongrel.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

sorry swishy, NO photos.

More
14 years 8 months ago #13754 by atkipete
Great photos Vic and Bruce, we didnt get the Inter F2010 ( Fleetstar) or the 9800 ( cabover) out here. Not sure why both would seem ideal for Aussie conditions and that 9800 would be giving the Kenworth K108 a run for its money.

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #13755 by VicHung
Swishy, there were a couple of US tractors towing fuel tankers in those days, but they were both owned by contractors and not by the oil companies themselves. I remember one KW, I think it was a needle-nose, and it was the first one I had seen. It was working for Caltex Oil and it pulled into our yard at Mobil one day. We Atkinson drivers thought "what a funny skinny looking cab" until we climbed inside and realised there was actually far more room in there for the driver than there was in the Atkis, and the KW driver didn't have to climb over that bloody Atki handbrake either; this was before the Atkis were retro-fitted with spring brakes.

Europa Oil (a NZ company who ran exclusively Commers and Dodges as the family who owned Europa were also the Rootes Group importers) had a contractor working for them who used an R190 with a 6V53 to tow a tanker around. It made plenty of noise and smoke but our Atkis with Cummins 250s would blow it into the weeds going up hills.

Bruce, there is still at least one Pacific, a P510 I think, still in regular use on the highway here in NZ and probably others too, but I have never been in the right place at the right time to get any photos.
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by VicHung.

14 years 8 months ago #13756 by
I have a pic of a 1960 Pacific logging truck and it was meant be first of the trucks capable hauling 100 tons of logs it had a 15 sp rr and 400 Cummins it was owned by KLC .Dave

• Swishy
  • Away
More
14 years 8 months ago #13757 by Swishy

Big Pacific Beast
Looks like a dozer and logging arch on the rear trailer
Wot Say U?

img195.imageshack.us/img195/5936/pacific.jpg

Cya

[ch9786]

• Swishy
  • Away
More
14 years 8 months ago #13758 by Swishy

Even R.S. will like this Pacific

Duetz diesel air-cooled engine

John Vala Trucking Pacific with Duetz diesel air-cooled engine. I believe this truck is in the Duncan Forest Museum.

Cya

[ch9786]

14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #13759 by
Gday Swishy,

You are right mate :)
That is a cracking looking truck.

Whats this 'even R.S. will like this Pacific' ?? :-?
I am not really a fussy bastard about trucks..
Its just that I have not seen most of the trucks on the forum.

I have publicly admitted that I am liking MACK, and I can add ACCO
to that now. The other Big Yanks are beginning to interest me, but I do not go for all the flash and chrome bling stuff.

When I see a truck I recognise, and have sold or driven in the past , I can immediately relate to them, and they bring back memories.

On VicHung's post I was surprised to see the Ford D series trucks as I sold loads of them and now we hardly have any left in the UK !

Now this Pacific is new to me, but the engine..
Well I need say no more.

I am now going to find more out about this beauty.

Cheers mate. :)
RS

14 years 8 months ago #13760 by
Well Teddy boy one in your pic is the same truck I took a pic of at the Auckland Transport Museum in 2000 part from this truck I would have say rest of the trucks look pretty sad I think it might have been $$$$ at the time. Dave

Time to create page: 0.541 seconds