Skip to main content

Last of the 6V 92's...

• Topic Author
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #148483 by
Last of the 6V 92's... was created by
g'day all .. i recently eyeballed a 9/1987 Inter S Line 2670 fitted from new with a 6V 92T @ 350 hp and was wondering exactly when did these engines become redundant?......bearing in mind the Detroit Series 60 came out in Australia that year...

....would anyone have any clues about this forgotten finale?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #148484 by dieseldog
I don't think they ever became redundant. As far as I am aware they're still being made new, well factory reconditioned, by MTU.

More
9 years 7 months ago #148485 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: Last of the 6V 92's...
Dieseldog is correct, they are still available as a factory reco and are still manufactured new for military use.

• Topic Author
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #148486 by
Replied by on topic Re: Last of the 6V 92's...
...thanks for the info fellas .. i'm aware that they never really stopped making these things, but as a rule when were they just ''not offered'' as original equipment in the mainstream truck manufacturers' options book in Aus?....

.....i s'pose what i'm basically trying to get to the bottom of is the point of when you just couldn't get one anymore.... supplied in a production line truck by one of our local (or otherwise) truck manufacturers....cheers

More
9 years 7 months ago #148487 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Last of the 6V 92's...
Detective, 1987 was the last of the LNT Louisville's, so I'd guess that would the end of the GM's in Fords then. I had the vague recollection that around 1990 was pretty much the last of the 2 strokes with the custom manufacturers like KW as well.

More
9 years 7 months ago #148488 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Re: Last of the 6V 92's...
Weren't they offered in coaches until fairly recently?
Often see Greyhound coaches drive through town and many of them sound like 6V92 turbos.
Hard to tell the age of a coach but they still look pretty flash, rego numbers are usually ***DOG or ***PUP.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #148489 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Last of the 6V 92's...

I seem to remember Ipec having some GM powered Atkinsons around the early '90s..
There were also a few 6V92 powered KW T600s around on Fuel tankers about the same Time..

BISTBC..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by hayseed.

• Topic Author
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #148490 by
Replied by on topic Re: Last of the 6V 92's...
....g'day hayseed and all .. that's interesting about the 6V's in the T600'S....i know you couldn't get an 8V in 'em because of the lack of provision for external air cleaners...

...that's where the T650's were being offered up till the very late 80's (early 90's?) with a Detroit 8V ...only because the external cleaners were still able to be had on that model at that time.....

More
9 years 7 months ago #148491 by theroadbossman
Hi all, my Austral Tourmaster was made in October 1989 and is fitted with 6v92T. Many coaches were fitted with these and some 8v's in bogie drive tall deck or double deck configurations until well into the 1990's.

By the way, Daimler and Rolls Royce sold MTU Detroit back to Penske again, so big things will happen in that camp ;)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
9 years 7 months ago #148492 by jimbo51
Replied by jimbo51 on topic Re: Last of the 6V 92's...
Sadly Penske has only bought MTU Detroit Diesel Australia who distribute and support diesel and gas engines and power systems in Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific.

The manufacturing business, headquartered in Detroit, is still owned by Daimler so it would seem likely that the status quo will remain as far as who gets to use their engines.

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds