Skip to main content

WB Hunter's SAR Kenworth (where is it now?)

More
9 years 5 months ago #151405 by Jake Brake
Hello all, I'm on the lookout for a 1985 SAR Kenworth I used to drive and which belonged to WB Hunter of Shepparton (Hunter's Haulage).
I drove this truck for Hunter's from the day they purchased it secondhand from HM Transport Shepparton (Mack Trucks). It must have been around 1998 approx.
It was more of a "Plain Jane" when it was first purchased - being plain white, with a single stack. It had the 36 inch factory sleeper and the left hand side step instead of the battery box. Hunter's soon had it painted in fleet colours (by Pinky's in Craigieburn) and it become fleet no.10. They added another stack and the LHS battery box.
The truck was powered by a 400 Cummins. The transmission was a 13 speed RR, bogie drive (can't remember the diff ratios), riding on torsion bar suspension.
I ran local Melbourne or country Victoria in it, with the occasional trip to Sydney (NSW) and Berri (SA).
It was the only SAR Hunter's ever purchased and one of my favourite vehicles I've had the pleasure to drive for a living. In fact the period driving this SAR was the most enjoyable of my career. I loved my job back then.
I believe it was sold to someone in Queensland and is still in Hunter's livery. I'm kicking myself for not buying it when Hunter's first offered it for sale. I could have bought it for $20k. But I just didn't have the money!
Will post some pics soon.

White the greatest name in trucks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #151406 by GRINNIN BIG
Hey jake brake, What colour is hunters colours for us who don't know ?
Cheers

9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #151407 by
Hi Grinnin' .. i'll fill in for Ray while he's not online... :)

...Hunters were/are white overall with a big blue ''H'' on the sides leading to blue stripes going forward to the front of the truck...all the blue being outlined in thin orange stripes...cheers mate

More
9 years 5 months ago #151408 by Jake Brake
Thanks Phil for the colour description. The chassis where red also.
As promised, here are some photos.
The first three show the SAR as she was purchased.
[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #151409 by Jake Brake
Here is a shot after Hunter's had it painted by Pinky's with a load of general freight.
[IMG

Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Jake Brake.

More
9 years 5 months ago #151410 by Jake Brake
Here we were pulled up for a break at Ouyen, both carrying Goulburn Valley pears bound for Berri Fruit Juice (SA). The red bug deflector was gone and she now had a blue one with sides.
[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

More
9 years 5 months ago #151411 by Jake Brake
Top pic... Loaded with empty kegs for CUB Abbotsford.

[IMG

Taken in 2001, this pic shows the SAR loaded with 24 tonne of welded mesh in Laverton, bound for WB Hunter's Hardware store in Shepparton. The white mudguards had been replaced with quarter guards. You can see the left hand battery box that was fitted by Pinky's.
[IMG

Again in 2001, loaded with Henry Jones (IXL) at Kyabram, bound for SCT Melbourne then forwarded to Perth. 25 tonnes of jam.
[IMG

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #151412 by Jake Brake
I even had the matching log book cover! And still do, although it's a bit worn.
So now you've seen some pics, hopefully someone out there will recognise the old girl. I'd love to know where it is now.
[IMG

If you know the owner, or you are the owner reading this, please give me a call.
Cheers Ray. Mob. 0407311007

Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Jake Brake.

More
9 years 5 months ago #151413 by Stomper
Hey Ray, The shot with the Black smoke out of the stacks and hills in the background, is that just out of Broadford?
Stomper 8-)

Inter AS 120&&1954 FJ Holden&&C 1800 Inter Prime Mover

More
9 years 5 months ago #151414 by Jake Brake
Sure is Stomper,was on my way to visit Mick Gardiner.

Time to create page: 0.498 seconds