Skip to main content

Twin gas research

More
8 years 10 months ago #160687 by Hemi74
Twin gas research was created by Hemi74
Thinking about going strait gas my my 318 with twin gas research system twin converters etc , anyone done this , pros cons about this system?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 10 months ago #160688 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Twin gas research
Check wiff Gilly ........ He's full of gas

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 10 months ago #160689 by 2dogs
Replied by 2dogs on topic Re: Twin gas research
Me too, once I sort the 413 into the 700 series. I have an Offenhauser 2x 4bbl manifold to suit the big block and have twin Impco 425's and twin convertors, should flow enough.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160690 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic Re: Twin gas research
Gas is a waste of time, of all my vehicles that have been on gas only one still has it, I removed it from the rest and returned them to petrol. When gas was 10c a litre all the extra hassles it caused were probably worth it for the cost saving but now it is only marginally cheaper than petrol it just isn't worth it.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160691 by 2dogs
Replied by 2dogs on topic Re: Twin gas research
Yes it can be problematic, and some systems are worse than others, but these days with the gas-injection systems, power is 99% that of petrol, no cold run hiccups, instant change over and more torque.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160692 by AT4114
Replied by AT4114 on topic Re: Twin gas research
Have to agree with 2dogs I've got gas injection on my 4.0 ltr petrol and cover just under a 1000klms a week it halved my running costs and if anything it's up on power over the petrol the system has been in the vehicle for just under 6 yrs no major problems :). Years ago I had a 265 hemi on gas it's was a real pain in the butt nothing but problems LPG systems have come a long way since the old duel fuel days that's my 2 cents worth :D cheers Bryant

More
8 years 10 months ago #160693 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic Re: Twin gas research
Gas is $1.21 a litre here, not worth the pain, once I find a reasonably priced fuel tank for my F100 the last remaining gas system is going to the tip.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160694 by gilly
Replied by gilly on topic Re: Twin gas research
I read comments with interest. I have been playing with LPG for nearly 30 yrs, yes some systems leave a lot to be desired, & that applies to some technicians fitting up the rocket as well. A fine example of an engine that performs well on the bbq ring as we call it, is the Ford dedicated engine, correct compression ratio, cam overlap etc.
The old Impco 425 mixer will feed most applications, & you will be able to draw a huge amount of vapour through a Impco E convertor.
My experience with gas powered engines, even today, NO ONE will utilise a 5 gas exhaust gas analyser to determine an engines combustion efficiency. Yes there are oxygen sensor type Air Fuel ratio meters, however, they do not give you the true picture of what is happening in the combustion chamber.
The price of LPG in your area will determine if it is worthwhile or not. I noticed the price in Geelong yesterday was 50.5 a litre, petrol a 1.35. Let you do the sums, if on average, an engine on impco system, if running correctly, will consume approx. 10% more, if running correctly, tuned properly etc.
Happy to help advise if required.
Gilly

More
8 years 10 months ago #160695 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Twin gas research
I got 2 cents today.... Gas here is 57c... petrol 130c... Never had any real hassles with gas in any of my cars/utes. Got the factory gas petrol VE, it flys the same on either.

Be interested to know more about the why's and wherefores of the twin system... is it just about getting enough gas into the carbie when needed (I assume retro fitting an injected system is not possible/viable)???

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160696 by AT4114
Replied by AT4114 on topic Re: Twin gas research
Hey 600dodge at $1.21 that's over double the price I've been paying for LPG not cheap I can understand why your not keen one running gas at that price :o

Time to create page: 0.444 seconds