Skip to main content

VW scandal

More
8 years 7 months ago #162605 by dieseldog
VW scandal was created by dieseldog
I guess by now, we've all heard about the Volkswagen scandal involving vehicle ECU's to defeat emissions testing. I've often pondered how much longer we can go on squeezing more power out of less fuel. Eventually, we have to get to a point where traditional engine designs using conventional fuels cannot be improved upon.

In light of VW being caught out, I wonder how many other engine and vehicle manufacturers will now recall their product for some "fault" and quietly reprogramme the ECU at the same time.

In my opinion, I think what VW has done is pure genius, and it makes me want to go out and buy one.

It also begs the question- where would Detroit Diesel be now if they had thought of this 20 odd years ago....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #162606 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: VW scandal
There's nothing "NEW" about this..

It 's just with 11 Million vehicles effected, It's by far the Biggest..
Back in the late '90s Caterpillar (among others) copped a huge (for the day) Fine for the very same thing..

articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-10-23/n...-engines-mack-trucks

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defeat_device

www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-...d-as-pollution-tests

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by hayseed.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #162607 by VicHung
Replied by VicHung on topic Re: VW scandal
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by VicHung.

More
8 years 7 months ago #162608 by gilly
Replied by gilly on topic Re: VW scandal
Some years ago, when the LPG industry for cars was at its best, some low km cars fitted with the latest injected systems had to go to Sydney for am emissions test. Now gas is supposed to be a clean fuel in comparison to petrol etc. Surprisingly, a lot failed the test, to go back to installers w/shop to have new plugs/ coils & exhaust items fitted to help them get over the line
We in the LPG industry have known for some time, how the heck did these cars pass in the first place.
Once that LPG system passed on that low km test vehicle, ahh, we can then bolt it onto a high km engine without any questions, because it is now a certified kit ;)

A reputable emissions analyser will give you some interesting information on lots of cars, particularly after some nominal ks have been travelled. Nox is the big thing today, particularly on diesels.

More
8 years 7 months ago #162609 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Re: VW scandal
Dieseldog.
I couldn't agree more. Pure genius. Just goes to show that for every "smart" government regulation making bureaucrat, there is someone in private enterprise four times smarter. Cars 50 years ago were much more fuel efficient, and much like complicated. Take the SU carby for example. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

More
8 years 7 months ago #162610 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: VW scandal
The EPA is totally na

More
8 years 7 months ago #162611 by jamo
Replied by jamo on topic Re: VW scandal
Hitler's reaction to the recall.

More
8 years 7 months ago #162612 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Re: VW scandal
Hitler's reaction to the recall.

Yeah, not bad!

Never fails to amuse me that as soon as something happens, some smartie cracks on to it and sends it up!

Dave

More
8 years 7 months ago #162613 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Re: VW scandal
EPA can't test to the latest standards as there are no facilities in Australia of the required standard.

In 2013 I had a new ICV registered and all it needed to pass was the 2008 standard as they couldn't test to any higher standard at the NSW RTA Test Facility in Botany.

My engine was a Chev LS3 with 25,000k's on it and it sailed through.

More
8 years 7 months ago #162614 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic Re: VW scandal

Take the SU carby for example. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

I remember being sent to the EPA at Lidcombe (early 80's) with triple SU 202 powered HJ panel van packing shite due to hot dog muffled exhaust. After they had tested it with the sniffer they reckoned it was one of the cleanest cars they had tested in years. Canary removed.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did

Time to create page: 0.485 seconds