Skip to main content

Air hoses.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #164606 by 6for36
Air hoses. was created by 6for36
I was having a beer or two with some mates and a question was raised, no one had a definitive answer. Were air hoses (in Aust.) always red and blue? If not, when did they become so?
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by 6for36. Reason: misspellt word.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #164608 by defective
Replied by defective on topic Air hoses.
....Hi mate .. just ask my Sons about this topic .. the old black straight air lines are totally the way to go with an old Prime Mover resto. "suzy coils" only came about in the mid/late 1970's (at least in Australia) AFAIK, co-inciding with more acceptance of the quick release Male/Female (emergency/service) ends...

.... Back in the day when the turntables were fixed, they just clamped the hose ends truck to trailer, but with the QRTT, the need for quick release hoses became more of a necessity. Glad Hand connections came first (a throw back to the Westinghouse train braking set-ups) and Mack Trucks also used 'em for years into the 1990's, followed by what we have today....
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by defective.

More
8 years 5 months ago #164626 by 6for36
Replied by 6for36 on topic Air hoses.
Thanks Phil, totally surprised glad hands were still in use 20 years ago. Then again, they must have been dedicated truck/trailer units.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 5 months ago #164629 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Air hoses.
6fir36 (= not bad in nz)

We have used glad hand cuplins since 1960
the PBR snap on did not supply the volume and also would cum un dun causing much drama
yes az defective sez tiz all thro back to Westinghouse train cuplinz
we stihl have a few <BW> air fittings th@ have a barbed shape olive with a ferule nut
to squash it up into the fitting....... FWIW wen uncuplin trains they never did disconnect
the air line manually but they simply shunted off n they disconnect them selves

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Time to create page: 0.394 seconds