Skip to main content

Fast trucks

More
7 years 1 month ago #181415 by Dave_64
Fast trucks was created by Dave_64
Read with some amusement recent posts regarding VFT, (very fast trucks) under sub heading "Re-power D5N 300" and the HP required to drive them at such speeds.
Being one of those self confessed old farts who can well remember the paper trucks ( as well as quite a few market trucks), rattling shop windows and then the big rigids on overnight express straightening out the 10 mile bends of the Putty Road running North, I often have a bit of a chuckle whenever the subject of trucks and times comes up. Yes, there were some VFT going back a few years, both rigids and trailers. One of the truckie's pubs in the Liverpool (NSW) area, the old Collingwood Hotel, was quite famous in it's day for both it's hospitality as well as the yarns told in the Public Bar.
Distinctly remember many times when it came to trips undertaken between Wilberforce to Singleton railway gates, where the actual trip times had been pared down to such an extent that some of these blokes must have been in danger of meeting themselves coming back the other way! And of course, the longer the night went on, the shorter the trip became, the higher the gross weight, the more hair raising the exploits, not to mention the outsmarting of the relevant authorities, all good fun except the diesel fumes generated in the bar kept flattening the head on your beer.
Come to think of it, hasn't been an outrageous posting or even a downright blatant tampering with the truth for quite some time. Either we are all getting too old or due to the current world situation, or the domestic financial position, maybe even the internal political goings-on, we have become too serious.
So, c'mon Guys (and Gals, no sexism on this forum!), throw caution to the wind, the baby out with the bath water, lighten up a bit as long as we don't degenerate into mud-slinging,poke a little fun at the whole absurd situation. Too much doom and gloom!
Cheers, Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 1 month ago #181417 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Fast trucks
OK CogZ
Dun mean much to others outside of Melbourne
Go n back to early 70's
Had just delivered a C@955 traxcavator to Diggers Rest ... Normal Mid afternoon weekday
from diggers rest to our depo @ Wantirna in the Single drive 'B' model mack with MT float
only took 55 minutes ....60 km no freeways
Calder down thru Keilor...Bell St...Maningham Rd... Doncaster Rd... Springvale Rd ...Burwood Hwy
even on Google maps run n the Fwyz etc = 51 mins in a car
www.google.com.au/maps/dir/1+Burwood+Hwy....721111!2d-37.628056

cya

§wishy

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 1 month ago #181425 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Fast trucks
I distinctly remember a truck that was bloody quick- (mind you I was with the Old Man in a 1418 at the time, so a pushbike would have looked quick)
It was Benton Daly freighters, a single drive SAR KW towing a bogie van, from memory?
I must say, apart from continually being blown off the road in Dad's benz's, and the same pushing my old gardner powered Atkinstein up and down the road, that SAR was one of the few trucks I've ever seen that made me say "wow" when it went past.. And I got passed, a lot!

More
7 years 1 month ago #181429 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Fast trucks
Prodrive, remember that SAR on the old Hume, it was QUICK!
But I reckon Ernie Daly's (Benton-Daly) cab-over single drive Scania may have had longer legs.
Over the years there have been many high velocity missiles both on the Eastern seaboards and across both the large and small paddocks, and not all were run by the "Glamour" companies either.
Probably a good thing in some ways that those days are well and truly behind us.
Dave

More
7 years 1 month ago #181430 by olddon
Replied by olddon on topic Fast trucks
But wasn't it fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More
7 years 1 month ago #181445 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Fast trucks
Col Sinclair had a V653 repowered twin steer Knocker that wasn't slow. Used to do papers down the Hume.

More
7 years 1 month ago #181454 by conrad01
Replied by conrad01 on topic Fast trucks
Not so fast as Mackmunchers or a Grey Dog , But back in the 80's there was a 1418 Benz doing East West that rounded me up. Didn't realise what it had in it till it passed me. Maybe a 871t or lesser but a sweet sound as I had a 871t but with big diffs. A dollar 110 was it. Easily rounded me up. Anyone else notice the little things. Cheers conrad

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
7 years 1 month ago #181455 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Fast trucks
. .

.I remember...... one day I was coming down the Putty south of singleton..........
I was the last of three trucks travelling together.............
When a voice comes over the CB saying..........look out you south bounders..........
I'm coming through..................well..this red 190 inter... single drive...., flat top..unladen trailer
went past that quick you wouldn't know how fast he was going....we calls him saying whats in that thing..........
Turns out the red diamond had been replaced with a 185 Cummins and it now had an o/d road ranger as well.........
So with the extra revs of the Cummins...and the o/d ranger it was a real rocket............
........(how long it all lasted with a load on might be another story)..........
But he sure vanished pretty quick...........never seen it since...........
.............................Billy........................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

More
7 years 1 month ago #181460 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic Fast trucks
My parents had a servo at Nth Wilberforce on the Putty Rd in the late 1970's and I saw the results of some of those very fast trucks in one seven day period there was an accident every day I'd see the wrecked trucks being carted back to Sydney on the back of tow trucks one place that was particularly bad was the narrow cutting going up off Howe's Creek the road was so bad the trucks would hit the rough rock over and smash the top out of the Pantech seen a few Ipec overnighters do this and I followed an overnighter up from Wilberforce one night right up to Colo River through a bush fire didn't care that the road was closed knocked the barrier straight off the road and kept going

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

Time to create page: 0.481 seconds