Skip to main content

SA Historic rego

More
6 years 1 month ago #192405 by 600Dodge
SA Historic rego was created by 600Dodge
Is anyone on SA historic rego and if so can you explain the process and the specifics for me? Service SA were very vague on historic rego when it came to heavy vehicles.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #192407 by Kwakatriple
Replied by Kwakatriple on topic SA Historic rego
I am not an expert but we just put our Suzuki LJ50 on Club Rego - it is no longer called Historic Reg.

You have to be a member of a club. Any club that is approved to inspect vehicles for Club Reg is ok but you will find some clubs don't do vehicles outside their marque.

Once you are a club member you apply to the club for Club Rego and they will organise for an inspector to check your vehicle. Basically as long as the vehicle is legal and the engine number is correct they will fill in the appropriate documentation for you to take to the rego office where you will pay your money and get a receipt to take back to your club inspector who will then give you a log book. You are then done.

I had no trouble at all. I assume there might be a little more if you do not have any old reg papers (I am about to find that out...) but I am assured it is not an issue.

and when I say that as long as your vehicle is legal that means that you would be able to register it normally if you wanted to. Modifications are perfectly OK as long as they are done within the law - ie structural modifications or significant repowering might need engineers certificates etc but that is all just the road laws - not the Club Rego laws.

Good luck

1964 Bedford bus/motorhome
1972 Bedford bus/motorhome
...and sundry other 2, 3 and 4 wheel vehicles...

More
6 years 1 month ago #192409 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic SA Historic rego
Thanks mate, everything is still on full WA rego so it should be easy unless the inspector is an A class polisher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kwakatriple

More
6 years 1 month ago #192426 by Tacho
Replied by Tacho on topic SA Historic rego
Because it is an interstate vehicle you will need a police ID check of the Chassis and Engine number. The officer will give you a piece of paper ( I think the last I had done was $56)

More
6 years 1 month ago #192448 by Murray
Replied by Murray on topic SA Historic rego
SA policy for heavy vehicles , over 4.5 GVM, not previously registered in SA is an identity check and a Roadworthy inspection.
Once you have those completed your club will issue you with a Certificate of Approval and you can complete your Club Rego.
You will not have to have any roadworthy at a later date as non Club Rego trucks will be forced to do in the future.

More
6 years 1 month ago #192457 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic SA Historic rego
Kwakatriple's description of the process is very good.

I haven't had any experience registering vehicles from interstate, but i have put a heavy truck on club rego that hadn't been registered for over 40 years. Because Service SA had no record of the truck, i was also required to have a police identity inspection done as well, which consisted of the make/model, chassis and engine numbers, body type, colour, etc. $56 for that sounds about right to me too.

I had the club inspection done first, then took that form with me to the identity inspection and showed the police officer, who seemed happy that the information on the club form matched his form. Then i took both forms to Service SA and registered the truck no problems, new number plates were supplied too.

I think this is all you will be required to do to get club rego.

Just a tip for both inspections, make sure you know where the numbers are located before you get to the inspection, and that they are as clean and as easy to read as possible. You may even need to provide a torch and maybe even a small step ladder if the person doing the inspection is required to lean in over a mudguard or radiator on a truck. These simple things are all to your advantage.

More
5 years 11 months ago #193863 by Kwakatriple
Replied by Kwakatriple on topic SA Historic rego
Hi Murray, curious about your comment that Club Rego vehicles will not have to have roadworthy checks like non-club reg vehicles. Do you have that on good authority? I have been researching this a bit and have not yet seen anything excluding Club Rego vehicles from roadworthies. It would be great if you are right 'coz what I am hearing of their checks - particularly brake tests - many older vehicles might struggle even if their brakes are as good as they can ever be...

1964 Bedford bus/motorhome
1972 Bedford bus/motorhome
...and sundry other 2, 3 and 4 wheel vehicles...

More
5 years 11 months ago #193864 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic SA Historic rego
Kwaka, have a look at the two links that Swiftden has posted up in the "S.A. Rego rules" thread, specifically the second one. The table at the bottom has been very poorly put together and overall is about as clear as mud, but both the table and the written "what vehicles are exempt in stage two of the scheme?" description, do state that club registered vehicles will be exempt from stage two "at this time".
This same FAQ info sheet was the only info the staff at our local Service SA were able to give me when i enquired about stage two.

More
5 years 11 months ago #193872 by Murray
Replied by Murray on topic SA Historic rego
Hi Kwaka
As I said in the other thread, your SA clubs who deal primarily with commercial vehicles have been doing a lot of work with Transport SA and it has all been cleared up, although in the recent past some things have been done that may not happen now.
If your truck has been previously registered in SA and the records can be found then you do not require a roadworthy...but, if it is from any other state or overseas or is in a dangerously unroadworthy state then they have the right to ask for a roadworthy.
Transport SA would not put this in writing for our clubs because there are varying situations that may change some aspects.
However they did give us an employee to contact should we be having trouble through lack of knowledge at a SA Service centre.
They fully understand that some of the functions of our trucks would not meet todays criteria and are unlikely to pass todays roadworthy checks but are prepared to accept that because of their historic significance.

Time to create page: 0.470 seconds