Skip to main content

Bedford K oil filter

More
5 years 10 months ago #194358 by Richard Salter BedfordK
Got the old Bedford K running ok . It has a old rusty canister on the side that is an oil filter. This does not seem to be able to be dismantled . What I am asking is just what can I do with this to give the old girl some sort of oil filter . I vaguely recall a spin on conversion . But I am worried if I do this then all the oil will go through the high flow low resistance modern oil filter , and then starve the engine of good oil flow ..
cheers Richard

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194366 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Bedford K oil filter
Not familiar with those engines but a good chance it was a bypass filter. Does it have fairly small lines going to it?
If so the old dunny roll filter may suit (Franz)
Cheers Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Salter BedfordK

More
5 years 10 months ago #194367 by Richard Salter BedfordK
Yes it does have small lines going to and from it . Looking at my service book it does say its a AC filter , but I don't have any part number .
Some time back I fitted a bypass oil filter to my Holden Rodeo , It was a toilet filter type . The engine seized , and a mechanic said too much oil was going through the filter . i was happy before he said this , now I worry every time Have to go near a oil filter .

Is there a way of knowing how much oil flow is acceptable going through the bypass type filters ? obviously too , is this going to be vastly different on a nice hot engine at highway speed ... ?

More
5 years 10 months ago #194368 by Blackduck59
Would imagine if you maintain the same size lines/fittings you should be right.
With the earlier failure did you fit a kit or have to make up lines? Hard to see that type of filter dropping the oil pressure that much.
Cheers Steve

More
5 years 10 months ago #194369 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Bedford K oil filter
A bypass filter will have a tiny restrictor hole as part of the filter.....usually about 1/16" or slightly bigger.They usually take off from a 1/8 pipe thread on the oil gallery at the side of the block.You can simply plug off the hole,if you want to..................obviously installing a filter without a restrictor is going to drop oil pressure,even with a small bore pipe.........I fitted a bypass from a WW2 GMC to my Falcon,sure kept the oil clean...Used the packed rag and cotton waste elements...........Another good element for a bypass is the wound string fuel filters used in GM 71 diesels for years........I still have hundreds of the elements.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194371 by Blackduck59
JK's right on the restrictor, a quick run around Google for Frantz or bypass filter will give plenty of detail.
Cheers Steve

More
5 years 10 months ago #194401 by Richard Salter BedfordK
With the failure on my Rodeo Ute , I fitted a machined part under the spin on filter which had a oil supply line on it to the toilet roll filter then a return straight into the rocker cover . From what you guys are saying , yes maybe too big a flow and starved the rest of the oil system .

I will check out the Franz system and see what I find .
Cheers

More
5 years 10 months ago #194406 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Bedford K oil filter
Bypass filters wont work without a restrictor on the inlet side......otherwise the pressure oil flow cuts channels in the packing,which is usually cotton waste or shredded rag,and the oil flows straight thru...........slow flow drops the dirt into the packing..........they are very effective,lots of prewar US motors used nothing else.....some big motors had 2 or 3 filters mounted together,but all bypass.Unfortunately,if dirt gets into the oil,it will go thru the bearings a few times before the filter catches it.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194409 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Bedford K oil filter
Bypass filters are optionsl extra on new US trucks, parallel to the engine filter.
The BIG by pass filter it is chassis mounted, can be about 10 litres.
An internet mate has never changed his oil, looking at a million miles with only additives , top ups and bypass filter change.
Can’t see why they’re not common out here, you can buy one on the net an DIY.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194410 by Blackduck59
Then if you really want a super effective bypass you use a centrifuge.
Some Scania 6's we had only had a centrifuge, no filter, the Scania V8 we had only had a small filter on the oil to the turbo plus the Centrifuge.
Until you see just what they pull out of the oil you do not appreciated just how well they work.

Time to create page: 0.511 seconds