Skip to main content

Melbourne cbd, daytime truck ban?

More
5 years 9 months ago #194636 by Roderick Smith
Roderick.

Victorian Transport Association raises daytime Melbourne CBD truck ban Herald Sun Mon.9.7.18.
video: Infrastructure Victoria transport modelling.
TRUCKS would be banned from Melbourne’s CBD during daylight hours under a bold new plan floated by the state’s peak advocate for the transport industry.
Victorian Transport Association CEO Peter Anderson said it was time for governments to think outside the box when dealing with congestion.
“(Lord Mayor) Sally Capp came out with a ridiculous plan recently of keeping vehicles out of the city,” he said.
Trucks would be banned from Melbourne’s CBD during daylight hours under a bold new plan floated by the Victorian Transport Association. Picture: Ian Currie “Unfortunately it doesn’t work like that, but we can better manage the flow of traffic through the CBD.”
Under the proposal, most heavy vehicles would be banned from the city during the day and tighter restrictions would apply to street parking to allow for clearways.
At night, trucks would then be allowed to move freely and park outside stores when performing deliveries.
“At the moment we have trucks reversing down lanes and all sorts of things to get out of the traffic,” Mr Anderson said.
“Under this idea, traffic flows through the city and both groups are using the space more effectively.”
Night-time noise restrictions currently apply to garbage trucks in the CBD, with waste collection banned ­between 11pm and 6am.
But Victorian Chamber of Commerce and Industry chief executive Mark Stone said an outright truck ban during the day was not practical.
“Many of Melbourne’s 16,000 businesses rely on goods deliveries during the day and do not have sufficient staff to be on their premises for out-of-hours deliveries,” she said.
“Restricting goods delivery to after-hours would add to business cost, making it more expensive to run a business in the CBD.
“Congestion in Melbourne is expected to worsen so all options should be considered, but the solution shouldn’t make it more difficult for Melbourne’s businesses to operate.”
On an average weekday, more than 10,000 delivery ­vehicles access the city.
A City of Melbourne spokeswoman said recent discussion papers had discussed off-peak delivery periods.
“In order for this to work, businesses would need to adapt to be able to receive goods after and before traditional opening hours,” she said.
< www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/victo...b409bc5231b65e6176a0 >
MELBOURNE’S CBD ROAD SQUEEZE.
FREIGHT HUBS TO MOVE TRUCKS OFF STREETS.
CHAOS AS TRUCK BRINGS DOWN TRAM WIRES.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #194655 by .RC.
They should make a law only screemer powered vehicles can use the CBD during day time.

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #194660 by Southbound

.RC. wrote: They should make a law only screemer powered vehicles can use the CBD during day time.

Yeah, only GM's fitted with Jacobs engine brakes. That will get the Phone Zombies to look up!

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Southbound.

More
5 years 9 months ago #194897 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Sensors on trucks?
Vaguely related.
180721Sa Melbourne Herald Sun - sensors on trucks?
Roderick

Attachments:

More
5 years 9 months ago #194916 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Sensors on trucks?
Put sensors in trucks?
Better to put SENSE in pedestrians!

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound

More
5 years 9 months ago #194921 by bparo
so someone ignores a red light , walks into the traffic and the magistrate thinks that all trucks need sensors. So much for common sense!

If the 88 year old man had been finishing crossing the road but was too slow due to his age the truck driver should have seen him and wondered were he got to but the article states the 88 year old was crossing against the red light which implies it was red when he started crossing

Would the magistrate and their colleagues like to find the testing, refinement and fitting of such sensors (I am guessing they could alter the programming of the blind spot sensors) and for the hire of replacement vehicles while roadworthy vehicles are off getting these sensors fitted.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
5 years 9 months ago #194925 by Dave_64
"Yeah, only GM's fitted with Jacobs engine brakes. That will get the Phone Zombies to look up!"
Unfotunately NOT!
Seen all sorts of total stupidity by pedestrians, couple it with mobile phones and a recipe for utter disaster!
Reckon we could all just about write a book on mindless action by some, but for me, reckon I saw the height of it in Maryborough only a week or so ago. Young Mum barges across the main street about 25 metres from the pedestrian xing, pushing one of those Supersport bogie drive buggies with not ONE but TWO toddlers in it, head jammed into phone, right outside bank. Old guy luckily stood on the skids and then gave her a spray for endangering her own kids. Reckon I'm broadminded and had heard just about every swear word in the English language, but even I stood gaping at the torrent she heaped on the motorist!
Dave

More
5 years 9 months ago #194926 by Swanny
Yep they are proberly the ones the goverment give a few hundred dollars to be breeders :evil: :evil: :evil:

More
5 years 9 months ago #194935 by Travis
Don't worry there is worse to come re- the people on smart phones, I've seen the odd cyclist with a cradle on their handlebars with a smart phone here in tassie, as if they aren't aren't arogant enough on our roads already!
Trav.

More
5 years 9 months ago #194936 by werkhorse
Ahh Tassie.... Where you fight for every inch of the road... No matter what vehicle your in... And people ask me why I have up full time truck driving ... Even a run from the Bay back to Launnie (about 50 kms of highway) can be an eye opener ...

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

Time to create page: 0.542 seconds