Skip to main content

Driverless buses

More
5 years 9 months ago #195012 by Roderick Smith
There are almost daily articles about self-driving cars. There have been a few on driverless minibuses in confined areas (eg university campuses). I seem not to have posted them.
Articles on driverless trucks in mining environments are in the 'Modern Truck' thread.
Here is a driverless full-size bus, but only in depots, without passengers.

180725W Melbourne Herald Sun - self-driving buses (UK).

Roderick.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #195016 by busman
Replied by busman on topic Driverless buses
Can't you just see it, the sequel to speed won't have anyone to reach under and take the bomb off the hacked bus cause they don't have any personnel on board LOL.
I keep coming back to what people will do with their time when we don't have to DO anything, I reckon we will spend a lot of time (at least more than now) fighting with each other LOL.

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.

More
5 years 9 months ago #195019 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Driverless buses
Being driverless would improve the standard of Sydney bus drivers by a large margin.

More
5 years 9 months ago #195022 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Driverless buses
Don't worry Busman there will now be two people employed for every driver sacked to control the buses via screens in the central coordination centre. One to monitor the external driving of the bus the other to watch the internal camera to see if a pervert is smiling at a child or attempts to offer a woman a seat in a clear case of sex discrimination.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

More
5 years 9 months ago #195024 by allan
Replied by allan on topic Driverless buses
Was there not a trial commenced inside (so not on public roads) the Latrobe Uni complex (north of Melb.) a few years back??? I think they had an early hiccup. Did the trial continue? Anyone remember?

More
5 years 9 months ago #195035 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Driverless buses

Zuffen wrote: Being driverless would improve the standard of Sydney bus drivers by a large margin.

Try by 200%

More
5 years 8 months ago #195397 by grumpy
Replied by grumpy on topic Driverless buses
Will the driverless buses have windscreen wipers?

More
5 years 8 months ago #195414 by Dodgeydude
Replied by Dodgeydude on topic Driverless buses
Won't need a windscreen ;)

Many useful things fall off trucks

More
5 years 8 months ago #195667 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Driverless buses
Roderick.

Why driverless buses in Victoria could be just around the corner
Herald Sun August 22, 2018.
video: State's first driverless bus.
VICTORIAN academics believe the state is ready for driverless technology and have called for more action after the successful trial of an autonomous bus on local roads.
La Trobe University will on Thursday release a report into the emerging technology after a successful trial of a self-driving bus at its Bundoora campus.
Victorian academics believe the state is ready for driverless technology. Picture: Ellen Smith
The vehicle, known as an autonobus, ferried hundreds of students over the space of a year, with passengers able to choose their destination in the campus using a computer screen.
The project was partly funded by the Victorian Government’s Smarter Journeys Program was a collaboration between VicRoads, RACV, Keolis Downer, HMI and ARRB.
Researchers found the bus performed well above expectations in complex environments and could easily be rolled out across Australia in an effort to decrease congestion.
Keolis Downer CEO David Franks said the results showed self-driving technology was ready to be introduced now rather than the distant future.
“The trial demonstrated autonomous buses can and should play an important role in the mobility mix as a complementary service to existing public transport,” he said.
“We now have the data to show they can operate safely within complex environments and that there is strong public support for them.
The touchscreen on board La Trobe University's self-driving bus.
Fiona Kelleher, Luke Scicluna, Melanie Edgar and Sara Regan on a autonobus. Picture: Ellen Smith
“All levels of governments and the private sector must work together to ensure we have the right infrastructure and regulatory systems in place to facilitate the deployment of autonomous vehicles and ensure they are integrated into the planning process for transport and urban developments.”
The report recommends governments begin planning for autonomous vehicles in infrastructure projects and invest in education to prepare communities for the technology.
HMI Technologies CEO Dean Zabrieszach said the driverless bus passed every test that researchers provided.
“The vehicle was put through rigorous safety, technical, operational and passenger testing on a pre-programmed route, interacting with pedestrians, cars, buses and cyclists,” he said.
“No other trial in Australia has tested an autonomous vehicle of this type in such a dense urban location.
“We have demonstrated that it can be done — safely, without incident and in compliance with road safety laws.
Director of La Trobe’s Centre for Technology Infusion, Professor Ani Desai, said passengers had also provided vital feedback on the project.
“It’s clear from the results of the trial that autonomous buses are already close to reality in transport users’ minds,” he said.
“Critically, the study also indicated that potential customers would be willing to pay a fair price for such a service.”
GREEN LIGHT FOR FIRST DRIVERLESS BUS.
MELB LANDMARK THROWING OFF DRIVERLESS CARS.
DRIVERLESS CARS TO BE TRIALLED ON OUR ROADS.
< www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/why-d...c339ee8a98b56f42fd92 >
with four photos online on Wednesday, and the printed version on Thursday.

More
5 years 8 months ago #195682 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Driverless buses
They showed it can be done, as they say "On a pre- programmed route" with no other vehicular, pedestrian or animal users on the road. What about temporary obstructions such as roadworks, a broken-down vehicle, etc.? How would it go if given free rein over every road, freeway, dirt track and private driveway in the country?

Lots of things can be done in a controlled environment but in the real world, things are very different.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Time to create page: 0.603 seconds