Skip to main content

Introduction: lintonxy

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199965 by lintonxy
Hello All

I figured I better get my butt in gear and actually introduce myself after signing up nearly a year ago. My name is Linton and yes, I have an XY. I first used this name on a car-based forum and have used it since in various forums so it stays.

I'm 40 with wife, 3 kids, pets acreage, 4 tractors......but zero trucks. :blush: To be perfectly honest, I don't even possess a truck license :(

So what am i doing on here? Well, I like trucks. When I was young my grandparents had a farm in the Riverina, NSW. I used to love riding with my old man in the trucks, utes and tractors on the farm. I have found these formative years have had a strong influence on me. In addition to that my Dad then used to sell farm machinery and trucks by consignment. This meant a lot of miles travelling through south-western NSW and northern Victoria in his tired old ZH Fairlane. We spent a lot of time on farms, in truck haulage yards and in wrecking/scrap yards. I grew to like old machinery in general.

I now find myself drawn to the machinery we had on my grandparents farm: C1500 Inter (345 petrol V8); C1800 Inter semi (Perkins diesel I think); Inter AL160; Inter WD6; Inter 564; Inter 756; Case 930; Versatile 895; XW Falcon Ute; XB Falcon Ute: F100 Ute (early 70s I think); Suzuki Jeep (the little 2-stroke screamer!); Inter Scout II Terra.

As I grew into my teenage years, the farm long gone, I was drawn to cars. Chrome bumper cars in particular caught my attention and I love most brands. At the age of 20 I bought an XY that I still have and love. It has become part of the family. My mum gets all nostalgic for her old XW ute, when she gets in the XY. I am fortunate that my wife loves old cars also. She is, however, not so keen on commercial vehicles. Utes are ok. Panelvans not so. Trucks and tractors less so. She has grown up on a farm. These items are tools, not toys or things of beauty. If I look at it objectively I would tend to agree that an International Scout has a face only a mother could love :P

I am a Civil Engineer by profession, working in road construction. The hours are long and at times a bit stressful. My colleagues shake their head when they see me reading Vintage Truck and Commercial magazine as i throw down some lunch at my desk.

Long term, I would love a truck. I like the idea of having the practicality of a truck to move heavier things than my car trailer can. I also like the idea of a restoration project. Not that i have any time for the projects i have! So in the meantime, I figure I lurk here and absorb as much as I can. I am drawn to either a C-Series Inter or 60s era F-truck.

Over in the tractor section I'll post some pics of my tractors when I get a chance.

Cheers
Linton
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199966 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Introduction: lintonxy
Welcome Linton

You don't need to use or own a truck. A lot of people here own just a ute or are only car owners. If you are interested in trucks, old tractors or anything else remotely connected you will be a good addition to the family.

Lang

More
5 years 3 weeks ago - 5 years 3 weeks ago #199968 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Introduction: lintonxy
Welcome Linton,
Looking, dreaming, and talking about trucks and other old stuff is welcome here - extra browny point for mentioning International Scout though, because that gives me an excuse to chuck up a couple of photos of mine.

PS we like photos so chuck up any you have and I'm sure everyone want a look at your XY

Dennis
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by IHScout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Southbound

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199969 by Fred in Geelong
Welcome to the Forum, Linton. I don't have any old tractors or trucks. I'm the only old thing l have, but enjoy lookin' at all the old trucks, and even have some old tractors piccies as well!

This is a left steerer, but is actually in Ocean Grove, Victoria!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199974 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Introduction: lintonxy
Welcome Linton,
Both Dee and I got bitten by the old stuff bug years back and still love it. We have 1 FC144 Hino, 1 David Brown Cropmaster, 1 TEA20 Grey Fergie, 1 Liner Roughrider dump truck, 2 hit n miss engines, 2+ diesel engines and a heap of various vintage mowers that are used on a regular basis. So beware once you start it will consume you in the nicest of ways.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199977 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Introduction: lintonxy
Welcome Linton, I don't have any vehicles either, unless you count my 92 Toyota Camry daily driver, but I'm more of an info gatherer/sharer/creator etc. That's the beauty of this forum... There are people here from all interests, capabilities, levels of skill etc.
Just jump in when ya can, or want to, and all will be good.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199981 by Brocky45
Replied by Brocky45 on topic Introduction: lintonxy
Linton, Welcome to the world of Tired Iron!! It is definitely an addictive disease..I only have a 1949 Diamond T model 201 pick up (ute to you) but I love to see pictures and history of trucks around the world.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
5 years 3 weeks ago - 5 years 3 weeks ago #199982 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Introduction: lintonxy
Yeah. Good on you Linton...…
I am sure you will find plenty to interest you on this forum . I know I do...……..
I had one of the first XR Falcons that belonged to the Ford Motor Co, Had it for about 35 years,
of corse now regret selling it ……………..

…………………...Billy...……………….

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by BillyP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199986 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Introduction: lintonxy
Welcome Lintonxy,
A mate and I would loved to have that C1800 prime mover, assuming it is a single drive.
I have Morris Commercials, Thornycrofts and 1929 Chev, Mate has AB, C line and D line Inters, Dodge Ute Commer (Hillman) Ute and MG's.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #200076 by lintonxy
Replied by lintonxy on topic Introduction: lintonxy
So this is my XY:

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by IHScout. Reason: Need to click insert for photos to appear in the post
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog, fxs80

Time to create page: 0.507 seconds