Skip to main content

Intrenational scout

More
4 years 2 months ago #206343 by lower yp sth aust
Hi guys I came across an old Scout the other day ,I was wondering if they are worth restoring or not ,if so what are parts like to scrounge up
cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206345 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Intrenational scout
There is a de,and for them, dunno how ,uch of a demand but like all this old stuff there seems to be someone who wants it
I think parts are fairly plentiful from the US and some companys specialize in them

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #206349 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Intrenational scout
I have had about 5 Scouts over the last 50 years and like them

The 60's model with the 4 cylinder engine are pretty basic and pretty gutless. To get an idea of what they are like think a better looking series two Landrover.

The later ones are a really great vehicle. I had a long wheelbase Traveler wagon and a couple of long wheelbase Terra utes (just a Traveler with the long roof replaced by a ute cab. ) The best of all was a short wheelbase Traveltop which was made to compete with the Chev Blazer and Ford Bronco. Quite luxurious and very nice to handle. The 345 V8 has tons of power but likes a sip of fuel. Both auto and manual boxes were very good although the auto box got hot driving long distances on the high tide soft sand on Fraser or Moreton Islands - no problem in the bush or highway.

They came standard with limited slip diffs front and rear with excellent long travel suspension and many times I walked past Jeeps, Landrovers and Toyotas stuck on a slope with traction problems.

I haven't driven one for 20 years but if I was in the market for a collector 4x4 I would certainly consider a Scout Series II V8.

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Lang.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #206361 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Intrenational scout
When you say Scout do you mean one like this:

Early '60s Scout 80
or this?

1978 Scout Traveler
These are the two most common models sold in Australia. The 1960 models are much harder to find parts for in Australia, but still a relatively plentiful supply in the US. the late 70s model has quite a few components Available in Aus because they are common to other makes eg engines in the ACCO, Autos are Chrysler, diffs common to Jeep etc.
Brand new sheet metal parts can be imported from the US for both models, but it is fairly expensive, There are IH Scout clubs in many Australian states eg ILMO in South Aus. These Facebook Groups are a good source of information:
International Like Minded Owners - ILMO www.facebook.com/groups/217118648357708/
International Scout Owners Club of Australia www.facebook.com/groups/258773134193368/
WA International Scout Owners www.facebook.com/groups/412290505619025/
International Scout Owners Club of Queensland www.facebook.com/groups/1227181777622

Dennis
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by IHScout.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206363 by lower yp sth aust
Yes it was like that red one the mid to late 60s I am led to believe

More
4 years 2 months ago #206364 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Intrenational scout
As I said, a bit harder to find parts for, but good ones without too much rust are sought after. If isn't a total wreck then it's probably worth grabbing.

Dennis

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #206365 by Lang
I believe these are now becoming a bit collectible but you are never going to retire on the proceeds.

The RAAF had quite a few of these.

The advantages are a very good cargo area. The panel behind the seat just unbolts to make it straight through if you want to put a full top on. They ride and steer OK for a 60's commercial. Quite comfortable sprung bench seat. Top just lifts off with a couple of bolts and screen lays flat.

Engine parts are mostly easy because the engine is basically a 345 V8 with blanked off bank. Unfortunately if you want kits such as VRS gasket set you will get 8 of everything. You will never break them because the internals are built to take 3 times the horsepower.

Gearbox changes nicely but is only 3 speed. Terrible turning circle. Old Landrover type performance. Landrover type interior (just hose it out - no trim). Leak in the rain.

They are a pretty little jigger though.

Falcon motor conversions were popular because they had the same running gear as the Falcon powered Australian built Jeeps of the 60's.

Lang

More
4 years 2 months ago #206381 by Rattail 1927
Replied by Rattail 1927 on topic Intrenational scout
The old 345 a “gas guzzler”for sure (mine gets about 3 mpg) in an acco which is like standing 2 pieces of tin up and running in the wind, when IHC made them petrol was cheap.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #206383 by Lang
Here is one of my Scouts (ex RAAF vehicle) in New Guinea in the Snake Valley near Wau 1971
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, Southbound

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #206389 by lantana jack
Replied by lantana jack on topic Intrenational scout
Int Scout and rust are one and the same..:unsure:

Last I looked there were a wrecker 4cyl out at Dalby wreckers.

I seems to recall seeing a UD engine in a new Scout back in the day. An original fit, dunno ?

I’ve got a couple of Scout ‘projects’ that I acquired some time ago - the plan is to get one of the glass body’s out of the US... one day..:)

“The improver of natural knowledge absolutely refuses to acknowledge authority, as such. For him, skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin.” Thomas Huxley
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by lantana jack.

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds