Skip to main content

Old Speedways/Racetracks

More
3 years 5 months ago #217022 by mikeg
Those Jimmy engines were almost unbreakable and were widely used much modified in early drag racing and open wheel race cars with great success. An Aussie fella, Ray Walmsley, fitted one to his pre was Alfa P3 when it's original engine was lost in WW2 and he raced successfully at Bathurst and Mt Druit.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #217025 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Old Speedways/Racetracks
I never knew that Mt Druitt had a race track. I was taken to a large parkland there once many years ago and there was a go kart track that we flogged around on for a few hours.
Memories of other long lost race tracks, the original Parramatta Speedway, Liverpool raceway, Short circuit scarmbling track at Moorebank, Catalina race circuit at Katoomba and Sydney showground were ones I remember going to.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by cobbadog.

More
3 years 5 months ago #217029 by mikeg
Replied by mikeg on topic Old Speedways/Racetracks
The Australian Sporting Car Club obtained the disused World War 2 airfield in 1948, the original circuit used the landing strip only but in 1952 the race track was extended increasing the length of the track to 2 1/4 miles and control of the circuit pass to the newly formed Australian Racing Drivers Club, about 25 race meetings were held at Mount Druitt over the next five years.
The circuit held many major meetings in its time including a 24-hour race from the 31st of January until the 1st of February 1954, the last meeting at the circuit was on the 10th of November 1957.
The following user(s) said Thank You: overnite

More
3 years 5 months ago #217030 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Old Speedways/Racetracks
Catalina Park race track in Katoomba NSW is still there, in a very dilapidated condition, but it still makes for a very interesting walk. The whole track is accessible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 5 months ago #217031 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Old Speedways/Racetracks

mikeg wrote: The Australian Sporting Car Club obtained the disused World War 2 airfield in 1948, the original circuit used the landing strip only but in 1952 the race track was extended increasing the length of the track to 2 1/4 miles and control of the circuit pass to the newly formed Australian Racing Drivers Club, about 25 race meetings were held at Mount Druitt over the next five years.
The circuit held many major meetings in its time including a 24-hour race from the 31st of January until the 1st of February 1954, the last meeting at the circuit was on the 10th of November 1957.

When I lived at Rooty hill in the late 70s the large BP/COR sign with the words “turn right for Mt Druitt motor racing circuit “, was still standing at the cnr of Woodstock ave and Rooty hill rd nth and all the wording was still clearly visible.

More
3 years 5 months ago #217034 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Old Speedways/Racetracks
I know we are getting slightly off track (as often does happen) with original topic, but Cobba's mentioning some of the old speedway tracks also stirred a few memories here.
The original Sydney Speedway was called the "Speedway Royale" at the showgrounds and can still recall tagging along with an older brother, can't recall the exact year but he paid a shilling for entry and sixpence for me!
Can even remember some of the big guns at the time, the Cuneen brothers, Brian and Peter, the late Andy McGavin. George Tatnell was also big at the time.
Seems I can also recall a lot of Holden "Specials" racing at the time, supposed they were old grey motors, no money in it in the early days. May have 8-10 races a night, mix of stock cars, speedcars, bikes, both solo and outfits, blokes racing for the sheer hell of it.
Then somebody started racing those 4 banger Offenhausers, cleaned anything and everything else up, started becoming more professional soon after that, along with the advent of "modified and super-modified", wings on the roof etc.
Big deal for a wide eyed primary school kid, being taken to the "big smoke" on a Friday or Saturday night, got to ride the electric train from the western suburbs into Central, then a ride on a double decker bus out to the showgrounds.
Dad may have slung you an extra sixpence so you could both have a feed of hot chips (wrapped in newspaper), another thing to look forward to.
Innocent carefree days indeed!
They used to water the track before the meetings those days, if you stood too close to the outer fence, nothing to get clocked with a lump of gravel thrown up, stung a bit but half the joy of being there!
Dave_64

More
3 years 5 months ago #217038 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Old Speedways/Racetracks
i probably should split this thread into 2, as this is an interesting topic..

Alright you Blokes, i seem to remember many years ago on Windsor Road not far from the public weighbridge at McGraths Hill & roughly opposite the Abattoir/ Knackery. was a Big sign directing you to a Racetrack...
What was the name of the racetrack?? I can't for the life of me remember.!!!

i had a quick look on google earth & couldn't recognise a damn thing..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
3 years 5 months ago #217040 by 235mack
Replied by 235mack on topic Old Speedways/Racetracks
Amaroo.

More
3 years 5 months ago #217047 by Swanny
Replied by Swanny on topic Old Speedways/Racetracks
Back in the I think late seventies early eighties when working for Jetaway Transport I got the job of delivering Two Miget sprint cars to the Sydney show ground ,they were owned by 2 Yanks I think there names were A J Floyt & Ron (sleepy )Trip The cars had highly modified VW engines ,Asked one of the drivers if I could take his car for a spin around the track:whistle: I was surprised when he answered yes BUT there was nobody at the track to give the OK so I was disappointed . those two drivers were true gentlemen plus they were happy there cars arrived undamaged

More
3 years 5 months ago #217051 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Old Speedways/Racetracks
And on the Adelaide scene there was Rowley Park Speedway . . .

. . . Billy Wigzell, George Tatnell, Marshal Sargent and Kym Bonython are four names that come readily to mind, not forgetting the clerk of court and notable flagman Glen Dix also. I bought some interesting bits of speed equipment from ex-speedway cars in my early days.

Great way to spend a Friday night during my teens. B)
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.506 seconds