Skip to main content

Brake problems - Road Boss

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #22217 by theroadbossman
Hello learned forum members, the new pain in the ass here.

For some reason, I am finding that my right front brake is working much harder than my left front brake.
Each time I do a brake adjustment, the right front takes up to 1.5 turns whereas the left takes about 1/2 a turn.
There is also fresh "rippling" across the tread face (I only swapped the front tyres a week ago/600km). Again, it looks like a race tyre by the rippling of the tread.
When I put my hand on the slack adjuster, I find that it does not full retract; I can push the slack adjuster and the booster will retract another 1/2" or so.

Is my booster buggered? Or is there another problem that maybe causing the shoes to bind onto the drums.

I noticed yesterday that when coming to a stop, it feels that the braking effort is excessive on the right front - it feels like the entire truck is being stopped by one front wheel.

How does the air system work in that to apply the rear brakes air is dumped but to apply the front air is applied? Maybe a problem there??

Sorry to be a pain in the ass again guys but so far you guys have been extremely knowledgeable in what you have suggested.
cheers,
Bretto ;)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by theroadbossman.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #22218 by bigcam
Brett, you'll have to take the hub off to have a look, I've never seen the return spring broken, but maybe. There is also a return spring in the booster, which will break if it goes rusty. If the hub doesn't drag when you jack it up, there might not be much to worry about. Front tyre where is usually caused by bad wheel alighnment.
Yours has probobly got single circuit air brakes and will have one air line from the treadle valve going to a quick release valve mounted on the very front crossmember, and then to both the front wheels. There will also be an air line from the treadle valve to a relay valve mounted to the rear of the first drive axle on the left hand side. White used a pretty simple brake setup on them until the early 80's, when they went dual circuit brakes.

More
14 years 2 months ago #22219 by bigcam
Brett, you may also find that the hub seal has failed on the opposite wheel. putting grease on the linings.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 2 months ago #22220 by Swishy

TRB Man
GuddayM8

To fine tune the brakes
wot we do
Is from a cold start MT in the morning
we run to the loading point
then we run our hand over the brake drum n bearing hub n compare with the others to check if all near enuff same temp
if one is a lot hotter than others we back slaky off one notch n if one tiz colder than the rest U comparing with then we nip up one notch
also check the front slak adjusters R the same type on each side, some squarish lookn slakers on front have a very fine adjustment compared to the common garden variety slaky on the the drive wheels

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 2 months ago #22221 by atkipete
If you want to get scientific you can get one of those infa red thermometers where you only have to shine the red dot on it and use Swishys method.

14 years 2 months ago #22222 by
Replied by on topic Re: Brake problems - Road Boss
Bretto

With the problems you are having with this side tyre are you sure you have not got a loose wheel bearing.

More
14 years 2 months ago #22223 by theroadbossman
And the winner is....

SloSpeed - The wheel bearing was nipped up on Wednesday, it was only one notch on the nut too loose. :(

atkipete - I didn't have the infrared thingy, so used the finger - result is now have two burns on the same finger! ;D

Swishy - thanks for the burned finger! Both the same temperature though :(

Bigcam - WINNER - the return spring inside the right front booster did not have enough spring pressure to return it - even when disconnected from the slack adjuster! A new booster (at the huge price of $34.00), all fitted, both sides adjusted, and lets see what happens now. You win the chook, it's in the mail! :D

Thanks to all of you guys again,
cheers and best regards
Bretto ;)

More
14 years 2 months ago #22224 by atkipete
Book us in for your next quiz.

More
14 years 2 months ago #22225 by bigcam
Brett, I'll garauntee that's not causing the tyre wear, it'll be an alignment problem caused by wear or something being broken.

More
14 years 2 months ago #22226 by theroadbossman
Bigcam - no, that is not the main cause of my tyre wear, that is the shackle pins & bushes, the wheelbase being out of whack, and the broken centrebolt on the drivers side (U bolts laid back) which I am still saving to get fixed before it destroys the tyre completely.

atkipete - sure will book U in forf the next quiz : when you own a "classic" working truck, ypou end up with lots of these quizzes ;D
cheers fellas
Bretto ;)

Time to create page: 0.539 seconds