Skip to main content

Model T's on Tour

More
14 years 2 months ago #22266 by VicHung
Model T's on Tour was created by VicHung
I was waiting in my tanker at the ferry terminal in Wellington last week ready to board the inter-island ferry when this Model T fish truck turned up together with a number of Model T cars. When it was being used originally I reckon it must have been one of the first reefers with its ice boxes in the back looking after the fish.

They had come from the bottom of the South Island, driven up to the top of the North Island and were on their way home again. Strangely enough, my daughter had seen the same convoy waiting at the ferry terminal at Rawene, on the edge of the Hokianga Harbour over 1000km further north a few days previously.

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz350/vicandval/ModelT.jpg?t=1266183182

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #22267 by GKMcC
Replied by GKMcC on topic Re: Model T's on Tour
Hi Vic

In that photo we were on our way home. there had been a national rally for model t's running from warkworth to Cape Raenga and back. Both cars in the pic are based in dunedin and the total distance covered was approx 4000km in 3 weeks.
My Father purchased the fish van when he was still at school nearley 40 years ago and has been on the road since 1972. It was used for delivering fresh fish around the southland area and the mechanics didnt look forward to working on it as the aroma was slightly strong aswell as being a messy job

Cheers Glen

14 years 1 month ago #22268 by
Replied by on topic Re: Model T's on Tour
Now it's great to see the old girls out and about and in those days the had no cd players etc but you sure get to listen to your motor and enjoy the ride . Dave

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #22269 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Re: Model T's on Tour
Hi Glen ,Welcome to the forum ,and thank you for filling us in on the story .Ian .

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #22270 by VicHung
Replied by VicHung on topic Re: Model T's on Tour
Hi Glen,

Thanks for that extra bit of info. I cross on the interisland ferries a number of times each week and often see interesting vehicles waiting for the ferry; not too many Model Ts nowadays though.

Vic

Time to create page: 0.398 seconds