Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #22274 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Road Boss Y/N
It sounds like a bargain in the add, not sure about the drive it home bit. I would prefer he delivered it.

14 years 2 months ago #22275 by
Replied by on topic Re: Road Boss Y/N
HiYa swishy ,
definitely a 9000 series White with what I believe they call the custom cab . As far as I am aware , the Road Boss model was based on the White 4000 series with the longer wheel base ie: White Road Boss model 4964 with the 64 relating to a tandem 6x4 configuration but Cam and Jake Brake will know a lot more for sure . Also Swishy to borrow a term - I stand to be corrected , and ,
for all those good guys who have WHITES ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) and for those that don't :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

More
14 years 2 months ago #22276 by theroadbossman
Replied by theroadbossman on topic Re: Road Boss Y/N
Would it really be a Road Boss when the bonnet says White 9000, maybe the owner just wishes he had a Boss. ;D
Interesting about the model 4964 with the 64 relating to 6X4 conmfiguration - my compliance plate model is stated at RBM64, sooo the RB could mean Road Boss, but the M surely could not mean manual - could it?
Bretto ;)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #22277 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Road Boss Y/N
Clarke is right, it's a 9000. The Road Boss and 4000 and some Western Stars are similar in bonnet length. The big difference between a Road Boss and a 4000 is the front spring hangers and radiators. With bigger motors came the need for bigger radiators. Kenworth achieved it by dropping the front of the chassis, but White kept the straight rails, and made the spring hangers at the front of the front springs longer, so that the radiator would go over them. The radiator size was then wider than the rails. There used to be quite a few 4000's getting around with Road Boss bonnets, and that was the quick way to tell. There also was quite a few Road Boss's with Western Star bonnets as well. The early Road Boss cabs are the same as a 4000 cab with the top of the doors level with the windscreen line, by the end the Road Boss cab was very similar to the Western Star, with the doors going up above the windscreebn line into the roof section. There isn't many parts off a Western Star cab that will fit a late model Road Boss though.
Brett, the American Road Boss's are ugly. Kit Bleakly from the Gap designed the Australian ones.
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by bigcam.

14 years 2 months ago #22278 by
Hi, the first Road Boss' had a low roof same as a 4000. Then they went to the high roof. I dont know if they had the cab where the doors went into the roof like a Western Star. Road Commanders are plated RC64. Regards Jeff.

14 years 2 months ago #22279 by
forgot to answer swishys Q, I reckon definitely not a Road Boss.

More
14 years 2 months ago #22280 by Jake Brake
Replied by Jake Brake on topic Re: Road Boss Y/N
Hi guys, yes I agree with Clarke & Cam; it is definitely a 9000 series. But a 9064, because it is tandem drive.
Also the White Motor Co purchased many marques - Autocar in 1953, Reo in 1957, Diamond T in 1958 then in 1967 White merged Diamond T & Reo to form the Diamond Reo. To cut costs, White used the existing dyes from Autocar to produce cabs for both Autocar as well as the White 4000, 9000, Constructor and early Road Bosses, Diamond Reo's, Diamond T's and White Western Stars from the 70's. That's why the cabins of these trucks all look the same.
Cheers Ray.

White the greatest name in trucks.

Time to create page: 0.545 seconds