Skip to main content

Dual range bogie drives

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #237212 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Dual range bogie drives
.OK....with all this talk about 2 speed diffs and dual range diffs ..............
Exactly what is the difference.........there has to be something ?????????
...............Billy................

OR is there nothing.??????...........

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by BillyP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #237221 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Dual range bogie drives
The 2-speed as in the Eaton uses epicyclic reduction gearing concentric with the crownwheel.
The double reduction as in Rockwell uses a sliding mesh gear set ahead of the differential.
If I remember right, Dodge used double a reduction diff back in the 60’s when other brands used Eaton’s.
The Eaton shift was much faster and more reliable, didn’t get hung up between shifts like the double reduction setup often did when changing on the move.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

• BillyP
More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #237222 by BillyP
.I should have said i was referring to Eatons ........
as they were the ones that advertised the Dual Range set up.
and were a single reduction job ......

.................Billy...................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

More
1 year 9 months ago #237223 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Dual range bogie drives
I think it's different terminology for the same thing, used in different applications. Two speed for a single drive and dual range when in bogie configuration.
Proved the power divider was not engaged, it should be able to cope with dual range changing out of sinc. I knew a fellow who had dual range diffs and he changed them, on the move as a matter of course.

More
1 year 9 months ago #237229 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Dual range bogie drives

.OK....with all this talk about 2 speed diffs and dual range diffs ..............
Exactly what is the difference.........there has to be something ?????????
...............Billy................

OR is there nothing.??????...........

Good Question Billy..!!
I've seen inside My Share of Diffs over the Years including a couple of Number4 Eaton 2 Speeds. But am yet to go inside a Dual range one.. !

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyP, Dave_64, PaulFH

• BillyP
More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #237256 by BillyP

I think it's different terminology for the same thing, used in different applications. Two speed for a single drive and dual range when in bogie configuration.
Proved the power divider was not engaged, it should be able to cope with dual range changing out of sinc. I knew a fellow who had dual range diffs and he changed them, on the move as a matter of course.

.Ian the Great........You have nailed the situation greatly ...........Just terminology...........
Yep, just your every day Eaton 2 speed , set up for a bogie drive............
Can you change on the trot??? ........of corse you can....if you are that way inclined..........
However , remembering the old 5 speed boxes where you would split the change with the 2 speed diff to get
that in between gear , ..........
How would you manage that behind an 18 speeder when the step in the diff (may)??? equal a couple of
progressive shifts in the box...........bit of a lost cause i would think...........
So Mr Eaton may have said , we wont refer to the bogie set up as 2 speed (considering the HP and the
multi speed boxes ) ............ ,I know , lets call them a DUEL RANGE.............
So now there will be no splitting gears , just a lower ratio to get that heavy load rolling, then move to high range
when suitable to keep up the highway speed (or what ever )............
So there you go..........still just a 2 speed , capable of range changing on the trot if required ........
Remember if you walk out your front door the wrong way you could fall and break your neck ( or whatever )........
So if you dont do the diff change the correct way you could wring its neck just as easy .................
..................Billy....................

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, V8Ian

• BillyP
More
1 year 9 months ago #237257 by BillyP
Good Question Billy..!!
I've seen inside My Share of Diffs over the Years including a couple of Number4 Eaton 2 Speeds. But am yet to go inside a Dual range one.. ![/quote]
Seed..........When you do open up that duel range, you will probably say
Hell, this looks just like an Eaton 2 speed bizzo ...................

...................Billy....................

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
1 year 9 months ago #237258 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Dual range bogie drives
I think the problem with shifting on the run comes when one diff changes and the other one is a bit slower, and doesn’t engage.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
1 year 9 months ago #237263 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Dual range bogie drives
1976 we specd up a KW SAR for gross over 100t to get all the gearing they suggested RT-125015
there was no room to run a joey box as we wanted short W.B. so they suggested Dual range Eatons 44DT .. 4.56 -6.21 (95kph)
then they were hesn't on the deal as they had trouble with road trains changing the DR on the run
so we suggested to mount the switch out side the cab = problem solved
normally when we were well up in wieghts I'd put the diffs in low and do the loaded jouney in Low (max about 80kph)
I had problem one time under warranty where one diff changed and the other didn't (did change eventually after a few minutes of stuffin around)
Contacted KW they refered to Eaton
Eaton said we did not have enuff air up ..... we didn't allow nuff time to change the diff.... we had the parking brake on etc etc etc
then they said take it up with KW as they designed the DR plumbing
FFS
When I loaded the large crawler crane i left the V892T idiling with trailer maintaining air supply
parking maxi brakes applied on flat ground and low selected in the DR = 1/2 hour
as I took off with gentle applied power to the ground it was leaving a black tyre mark doun the road so stopped backed up 1 m tried again = same result
stopped put the DR in to hi moved forward 1m all ok then stopped again selected Lo in DR no problems from then on
I think to change from lo to hi or hi to lo on a DR U need to B cruising and allow the wheels to catch up with each other and not split gears like in a single drive 2 speed diff

WotSezU?

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, BillyP, cobbadog, Dave_64, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120

More
1 year 9 months ago #237265 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Dual range bogie drives

.Ian the Great........You have nailed the situation greatly ...........Just terminology...........
Yep, just your every day Eaton 2 speed , set up for a bogie drive............
Can you change on the trot??? ........of corse you can....if you are that way inclined..........
However , remembering the old 5 speed boxes where you would split the change with the 2 speed diff to get
that in between gear , ..........
How would you manage that behind an 18 speeder when the step in the diff (may)??? equal a couple of
progressive shifts in the box...........bit of a lost cause i would think...........
So Mr Eaton may have said , we wont refer to the bogie set up as 2 speed (considering the HP and the
multi speed boxes ) ............ ,I know , lets call them a DUEL RANGE.............
So now there will be no splitting gears , just a lower ratio to get that heavy load rolling, then move to high range
when suitable to keep up the highway speed (or what ever )............
So there you go..........still just a 2 speed , capable of range changing on the trot if required ........
Remember if you walk out your front door the wrong way you could fall and break your neck ( or whatever )........
So if you dont do the diff change the correct way you could wring its neck just as easy .................
..................Billy....................
The fellow I knew, would either change in the gear he started in, or once he got into top. He had a 15 speed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, BillyP, Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds