Skip to main content

Some questions for the rivet counters

More
1 year 5 months ago #240863 by Mrsmackpaul
Seems like some of you lot know quite a lot about Kenworths, I know not a lot, even less than I know about Macks which really is bugger all

Photo for reference, when did the headlights go larger round lights with out the cluster ?

Did this happen all at once or was it a option for a while ?

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #240864 by werkhorse
Around 1978 the change was made .... Not exactly sure if there was a certain chassis number that the change occurred on or if it was an option for a short while.

It basically coincided with the release of the 2200 series cab over cab on the K100 series.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, oliver1950

More
1 year 5 months ago #240866 by Mrsmackpaul

It basically coincided with the release of the 2200 series cab over cab on the K100 series.

Can you shed some more light on what 2200 series change was ?

I thought the Kenworth cabbed stayed the same for real long time, like well into the 90s

Paul

More
1 year 5 months ago #240868 by werkhorse
2.2 m sleeper cab ... Was the main difference visual ... Lots of smaller things changed that were not so visible

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
1 year 5 months ago #240869 by Mrsmackpaul
Was this when the one piece fiberglass roof was fitted to the K 100 ?

I might even have that wrong :oops:

Did thr Kenworth cabs come like Mack cabs to Australia

Let me explain that dumb ass question
Mack cabs came finished? As a LHD cab (talking R and F model cabs) and all the holes were drilled for LHD in the fire wall etc

Mack had template or templates that marked out the cabs for RHD
When the cabs were built up RHD all the excess holes were covered up and you couldn't tell until you pulled the truck apart

Were Kenworth cabs like this or were they all built RHD from new ?

Paul

More
1 year 5 months ago #240880 by Mrsmackpaul
Apparently the top photo the truck is on torsion bars (face book is full of experts), can this be told by the photo or is it because people know the truck

Can torsion bar parts be sourced these days, I ask because Macks camel back are still about everywhere and there is plenty of aftermarket parts for them for just about every part you can think of

From what I understand these torsion bar setups were all removed in later life for what ever reason, ride ? parts ? bad wear characteristics ? Maybe a bit of everything

Paul

More
1 year 5 months ago #240886 by hayseed

From what I understand these torsion bar setups were all removed in later life for what ever reason, ride ? parts ? bad wear characteristics ? Maybe a bit of everything

Paul

Paul, they need a lots of regular Greasing. & to do It properly You needed to jack the Chassis up so there was No weight on all the Bushes.. Most Blokes were in Too big a Hurry to do that which led them wearing Out quickly..

From memory, A Brand new reyco 4 spring suspension Kit was roughly the same price as all the Bushes to rebuild one, & if the Hangers were Flogged out (Due to lack of Grease) a HEAP cheaper...with very little ongoing Maintainence.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #240888 by BillyP

Apparently the top photo the truck is on torsion bars (face book is full of experts), can this be told by the photo or is it because people know the truck
From that pic there is no way of knowing if it was fitted with T/Bars. Unless you knew the truck or the specs .............
How ever ......... if you said T/Bars you probably would be spot on ........
Yep....... lack of grease was the greatest enemy...........
Some owners who did the right thing, never replaced a thing in the life of the truck ............
So best idea is to carry a grease gun in your back pocket...........
............(looks like one of the local coal trucks of the era )................

................Billy.....................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by BillyP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
1 year 5 months ago #240949 by BillyP

Were Kenworth cabs like this or were they all built RHD from new ?

Paul

When the KWs were started to be built in OZ the cabs were built here as required.............(may be a few were imported initally ...maybe.......).
Unlike other cabs that involved a lot of welding...........the KW cab was bolted (or riveted) together and could be completely tore down and rebuilt..........
At Lansvale and St Peters we had a jig to build the cabs up from nothing to the completed item........... then it would just pop on
to the chassis with no trouble at all...................
Or, we could use that jig to do a repair job as required..............

....................Billy......................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
1 year 5 months ago #240952 by eerfree
How many rivets can the rivet counter count ?

Bob,
I do not know how I got over the hill without ever getting to the top.

Time to create page: 0.562 seconds