Skip to main content

DODGE 600 Series Cat Engine

More
1 year 3 months ago #242866 by paulc20
Was it possible to spec a Cat V8, 185hp in a 600 Series Dodge? Question is in relation to Historic rego, I can see that you could get the little Cummins V8 or a GM 6V53, but was wondering if you could get the little Caterpillar engine new.
Paul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #242867 by Mrsmackpaul
I remeber Cat adds in Truck and Bus magazine and 3208 ??? was been shown getting lowered into a D or C line Inter
I dont think it was as big as a 600 series Dodgebut I reckon if a little V8 Cat was fitted in nicely no one is would even question it at rego as most trucks don't have the original motors in them any more

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
1 year 3 months ago #242870 by cobbadog
Not sure what it is like here in NSW now but if you wanted to do an engine upgrade you had to prove it was an option then fit all the other upgrades that went with that engine like brakes and suspension. If doing an upgrade with a unknown upgrade then it is off to the engineer that is recognised by that State and meet his expectations.
Like Paul said at rego time no one checks what engine it is so long as its numbers match what is on the paper work.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
1 year 3 months ago #242872 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic DODGE 600 Series Cat Engine
Paul, AFAIK not an engine option then.
Boss had AT4 760 Dodge and Inter C1840 - both had Cummins C160 replaced with 3208 Cat, NA set at 170 HP for emissions.
KMD Diesel at Dandenong fitted them for about $11000, 610 RR extra. Had to offset the motors slightly, and groove RH manifold to clear steering shaft in both trucks.
Cat motor in the Dodge came almost new from a wrecked Inter D1910. Under new warranty.
Both went ok, spread trailer 32 T gross so bit underpowered. No leaks, quiet, 10 mpg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #242873 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic DODGE 600 Series Cat Engine

Question is in relation to Historic rego,

Like most things, It'll depend on how Anal/Pedantic the Club's responsible Person is, In interpreting the Rules..
Period correct Modifications & Accessories are allowed, So I personally don't see a problem with It..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by hayseed. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: paulc20

More
1 year 3 months ago #242876 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic DODGE 600 Series Cat Engine
I d very much doubt it ,because Chrysler was half owner of a new Cummins factory in UK to make the small V8s (and V6s)....was a factor in Chrysler Europe going broke ,as the small Vs were never any good......The early V8 Cats wernt much good either .....there was an 1100 series before the 3208,they had very bad name ,and were sold as "throw away engines"

More
1 year 3 months ago #243043 by paulc20
Replied by paulc20 on topic DODGE 600 Series Cat Engine

Question is in relation to Historic rego,

Like most things, It'll depend on how Anal/Pedantic the Club's responsible Person is, In interpreting the Rules..
Period correct Modifications & Accessories are allowed, So I personally don't see a problem with It..

Thanks everybody, this is the approach I am going with.

Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed

More
1 year 3 months ago #243049 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic DODGE 600 Series Cat Engine
Paul

After many years of dealing with international borders bureaucracy and motor registration people in several countries with dozens of 'borderline" vehicles I offer this to take in or discard according to your courage threshold:

Rule Number One : Tell them nothing take them nowhere!

Rule Number Two. Never offer ANY information.

Rule Number Three. Yes or No answers. Never complain never explain.

Rule Number Four. If there is any way to interpret the numbers, figures or description in your favour, no matter how improbable, do so because 90% of the time it will get through and the 10% will be recognised as an interpretation mistake. "I don't know" or "This vehicle has been on a farm for 60 years and the papers are lost or the chassis numbers are rusted"

Rule Number Five. ALWAYS be smiling and pleasant at the counter. Tell them how busy they must be or at least open up the contact with a "Good morning, how are you"

Rule Number Six. Never get riled, grit your tethh or roll you eyes. In the face of stupidity, obstruction and gratuitous exercise of power keep smiling, talking calmly (without giving too much away). There is nearly always a solution if you can convince them to get off their arse and talk to the superviser or delve into the regulations further. Many is the time I have come away with the right paper after hearing "It should really have XYZ but it is an old club vehicle on limited registration". All for the cost of a smile, a joke and happily standing there as they punch computers and confer with the senior person in the counter beside them.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed, 180wannabe, cobbadog, Dave_64, Morris, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, Southbound, Tacho and 3 other people also said thanks.

More
1 year 3 months ago #243052 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic DODGE 600 Series Cat Engine
Lang, I take it you've never had the misfortune to deal with VicRoads.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound

More
1 year 3 months ago #243053 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic DODGE 600 Series Cat Engine
Yes....the story of swishys float......did it ever get registered?

Time to create page: 0.528 seconds