Skip to main content

A Bit of Nostalgia

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #245296 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic A Bit of Nostalgia
Obtaining my car and motorcycle licenses was relatively mundane, but i quite enjoyed getting my truck license in our bogie rigid tipper with 16' 8 wheel dog trailer (i wasn't old enough at that stage to get a semi license).

On the day of the test, i was happy to find the local examiner (who was well known to be hard to please) was away on holidays, and that a man from away was filling in for him. Anyhow, we take off with instructions to head to the next town, only about 10km away. Half way there i am told to start slowing down, and to change back through every gear until i get to first gear, and then to speed up again, changing up through every gear to road speed again. I think i changed back 8 or 9 gears, and the examiner said, "my goodness, how many gears have you got in there?, that's enough lad, just get going again!", as he waved his arms in front of himself to suggest forward motion. As we approached the next town, he gave me plenty of warning, instructing me to turn into the third street on the right, which i did. About 40 yards in was a "no through road" sign, and as we drove past it he said, "oh i am sorry, i didn't realise this is a dead end street, do you think you have enough room to turn around at the end?" I said, "yes i think so, otherwise we will just reverse out", to which he replied, "better you than me!". It was then that i decided i quite liked this bloke! The rest of the test was very convivial, we basically just chatted as i drove him around for almost an hour! Upon returning to our starting point, he sat in the passenger seat methodically going through his check list for what seemed like forever, and even though i could see he wasn't finished, i interrupted him and asked "well, did i pass?". He looked up from his paperwork and said, "well, you were my first appointment after lunch, and you didn't make me bring my lunch up, so yes, you pass!"

That would have been in 1994.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, wouldyou, Morris, Lang, overlander, PaulFH, asw120, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.395 seconds