Skip to main content

Cummins 160 parked for 10 years. Will it run?

More
8 months 2 weeks ago - 8 months 2 weeks ago #247445 by Inter-Action
All good cobba. We both know what we are talking about.?? That's the main thing!! Couple of photos of some of my engines in the museum.
Dave.

Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Sarge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, Southbound, wee-allis, Brocky45, theabundantlife and 1 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #247447 by Southbound

Me to cobbadog. When i drain my stationary engine cooling systems, i use a piece plastic hose. Punch a hole in the side at the outlet
end , about 100 mm down from the end. Jam the air gun nozzle into the hole , air on and the venturi system does the rest.
Works really well and you can direct the suction end into all the tight spots. Of cause you have to unblock the suction of rust and
rubbish regularly.
Dave.

This works very well and is how I remove stale fuel/water/rust from a stationary engines fuel tank IE Honda fire fighting pump engine or a ride on engine.

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #247485 by Sarge
Righto you blokes, you know the rules, no photo, it didn't happen..... we need a picture of you quick n easy venturi's, I have used a small commercial one but could not see what I assumed was a fancy bend or trick valve that made it work.....

Let's be having them.... please.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis, theabundantlife

More
8 months 1 week ago #247517 by Southbound
I made one for you Sarge, pretty basic bit of kit that works very well.

The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, 180wannabe, cobbadog, Morris, Inter-Action, PaulFH, asw120, Tacho, wee-allis, Brocky45 and 2 other people also said thanks.

More
8 months 1 week ago #247526 by lemmiwinks
I've used this setup with the end of the tube in a box of bicarb of soda to soda blast an old crusty motorcycle carburettor. Came up mint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, oliver1950, theabundantlife

More
8 months 1 week ago #247603 by Sarge
Southbound.... legend. But one numby question, does the long end go in the fuel and the short end to waste?.....

Perhaps I will practice in a bucket of water.....

Is there a limit (experience).. how long the suction can be from the venturi?

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
8 months 1 week ago #247610 by Southbound

Southbound.... legend. But one numby question, does the long end go in the fuel and the short end to waste?.....

Perhaps I will practice in a bucket of water.....

Is there a limit (experience).. how long the suction can be from the venturi?

Sarge
Yes, the long end goes in the tank and the short end is to waste. Always best to do the operation outside, it can make a mess.
Suction to venturi ratio formula is Length x pressure x viscosity LOL. Actually I have NFI, I just keep cutting and trying till the cr4p is gone from the fuel tank!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
8 months 1 week ago - 8 months 1 week ago #247612 by Lang
Great simple system. I think it is more an air pump than venturi (adding air displaces the fuel as the compressed gas expands into big bubbles in the tube and drives it forward.) Nature hates a vacuum so the fuel behind the air line rushes to displace the fuel being blown forward. It may be a "venturi effect" but it is a different method of achieving the aim.

A venturi is a very specific device that makes a gas or fluid pass through a restriction. In the restriction it has to speed up and this means, not what many people expect, the pressure drops.

This is a simplified solution. Basically P1V1T1 must equal P2V2T2 where P + Pressure, V=Volume (flow), T=Speed. See the diagram below. The P1 etc is measured in the free flow in the full size pipe. The P2 etc is measued in the reduced section.

As a fluid is incompressible (and air is also considered so for low venturi pressures) the volume of the flow remains constant when going through the restriction so V1 and V2 remain the same. The only way it can do this is by speeding up to get through the smaller pipe. But conservation of energy requires our formula to remain equal so because the speed has gone up the pressure must go down.

This fortuitous situation allows us to tap this low pressure at the narrow point for all sorts of things.

During Underway replenishment the helmsman of each ship must constantly steer away from the other ship due to the Venturi effect, otherwise they will collide.
Cargo eductors on oil product and chemical ship tankers
Inspirators mix air and flammable gas in grills, gas stoves, Bunsen burners and airbrushes
Water aspirators produce a partial vacuum using the kinetic energy from the faucet water pressure
Steam siphons use the kinetic energy from the steam pressure to create a partial vacuum
Atomizers disperse perfume or spray paint (i.e. from a spray gun)
Carburetors use the effect to suck gasoline into an engine's intake air stream
Cylinder heads in piston engines have multiple Venturi areas like the valve seat and the port entrance
Wine aerators infuse air into wine as it is poured into a glass
Protein skimmers filter saltwater aquaria
Automated pool cleaners use pressure-side water flow to collect sediment and debris
Clarinets use a reverse taper to speed the air down the tube, enabling better tone, response and intonation
The leadpipe of a trombone, affecting the timbre
Industrial vacuum cleaners use compressed air
Venturi scrubbers are used to clean flue gas emissions
Injectors (also called ejectors) are used to add chlorine gas to water treatment chlorination systems
Steam injectors use the Venturi effect and the latent heat of evaporation to deliver feed water to a steam locomotive boiler.
Sandblasting nozzles accelerate and air and media mixture
Bilge water can be emptied from a moving boat through a small waste gate in the hull. The air pressure inside the moving boat is greater than the water sliding by beneath.
A scuba diving regulator uses the Venturi effect to assist maintaining the flow of gas once it starts flowing
In recoilless rifles to decrease the recoil of firing
The diffuser on an automobile
Race cars utilising ground effect to increase downforce and thus become capable of higher cornering speeds
Foam proportioners used to induct fire fighting foam concentrate into fire protection systems
Trompe air compressors entrain air into a falling column of water
The bolts in some brands of paintball markers
Low-speed wind tunnels can be considered very large Venturi because they take advantage of the Venturi effect to increase velocity and decrease pressure to simulate expected flight conditions.

An aircraft wing operates because it is half a venturi making the air go faster over the top than underneath.
Last edit: 8 months 1 week ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
8 months 1 week ago #247625 by PDU
For a period in my life I worked at GMH in a section dealing with mechanical handling of panels. One part of the job entailed using suction cups to move panels from one press to the next. The powers that be were always asking for better suction as the pressure needed to make a seal between the rubber suction cup and the panel created lows in the panels. After modifying the manifold and the venturis we used I achieved an excellent suction. All was well, lifting the old heavy Holden panels, until the introduction of the Camira when the suction proved to be too good, sucking the pathetically thin panels up into the suction cups and causing highs instead!
Life wasn't meant to be easy . . . :pinch:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Inter-Action, Lang, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis

More
8 months 1 week ago #247630 by Inter-Action
WOW! I think i have just attended a lecture at university , re, movement of air under pressure or vacuum. My explanation of
the device to draw fluid from a container, also included an air pump. Its called a compressor at the end of the air input line.!!
Very good explanation Lang . What about , when you pressurize a container , where the liquid is forced out a hole / tap.
What would that fall under? The bloke who was trying to drain a step tank a couple of weeks ago. Would he have done better by pressurizing the tank to remove remaining liquid.? Just my thoughts. Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.471 seconds