Skip to main content

Old dog, no new tricks.

More
8 months 1 week ago #247514 by Morris
1. Yesterday at about 11pm, a B Double with maximum length trailers, got bogged doing a U Turn, completely blocking the only road to Phillip Island, Victoria.
My mate spoke to the driver who said that he had been told that there was a wide place where he could turn the rig around at the top of the small hill but being an old dog, he decided to attempt to turn at a small driveway part way up the hill, about one kilometre before the top. Of course, his prime mover sank into the roadside grass and soil and despite engaging his diff locks, he could not move. The driver suggested that two four-wheel drive utes or wagons might pull him out but my mate said that with all eight wheels down to the rims in the mud, that was unlikely. The Police were informed and called in a heavy-duty tow truck that had to come from two hours away. The road was eventually opened at about three in the morning. My mate was collected by his wife and got home about 2 am. I expect the tow job will cost at least $1000 and I wonder if the driver is looking for a new job?

2. Same mate had a tipper load of gravel delivered to his property and told the driver (different company, different driver) "he could turn at the back of the shed but do not pass me and to not go onto the grass" The (not very) Old Dog reversed straight past my mate onto the grass and promptly got bogged. Mate could not pull him out with his old tractor and only just managed to pull him out with his three ton truck.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, xspanrman

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 months 1 week ago #247536 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Old dog, no new tricks.
Around 6 months ago I told a truck and dog driver do NOT ENTER our property as he couldn't turn around without getting bogged,

When I returned there was a truck and dog bogged in our back yard, 6 acre block.

He called the local heavy salvage guys who pulled him out and demolished a tree for us and cost him $1,100.00.

The funny thing was this was the second vehicle dragged out by the same guy in a week.

The tow guy told the second truck driver, If we ruin the grass this lady will have you balls on a plate, Meet Helen my wife!

The grass is slowly recovering! She didn't cook spaghetti that night.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
8 months 1 week ago #247538 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic Old dog, no new tricks.
It would a safe bet that the truck was a automatic in both cases.

More
8 months 1 week ago #247539 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Old dog, no new tricks.
SIcks munse ago I couldn even spell truck driva, now I are wun !

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lemmiwinks

More
8 months 1 week ago #247544 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Old dog, no new tricks.
I did a tow for a truckie who had driven onto some vacant land to drain the oil from his engine and gearbox and got bogged .............had to pull him sideways ,and one of his front tyres blew out ...........he wanted me to pay for the tyre............fortunately ,I got the money for the tow before I left the yard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
8 months 1 week ago #247545 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Old dog, no new tricks.
Anybody who has driven a truck or a car for any period has got stuck either because of bad luck or bad decisions. Glass houses and stones come to mind. Just saying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Normanby, V8Ian, Zuffen, Brocky45

More
8 months 1 week ago #247548 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic Old dog, no new tricks.

Anybody who has driven a truck or a car for any period has got stuck either because of bad luck or bad decisions. Glass houses and stones come to mind. Just saying.

In 25 years of truck driving and 25 years of electrical the only time I recall getting stuck, was underground at Caida Mine with a 26 foot tilt tray sliding large transformer into a cuddy, and I knew it was going to happen and had a D4 ready to pull the arse of the truck around to get me where I could escape. there has been times when I have been dragged in to load stock and dragged back out again, and a few times doing heavy haulage when I have been dragged in and out.
Never have I drove in and all of a sudden got stuck, I started in trucks with dad when I was in nappies and I don't ever recall him getting stuck either. I doubt Its a given, maybe living somewhere that you get a fair bit of snow make you a bit nervous, but I do agree Lang it can happen to anyone and I am still in with a chance as I have not handed my license yet

More
8 months 1 week ago #247550 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Old dog, no new tricks.
The brick trucks with cranes used to get stuck pretty regularly when it was wet ....generally you could use the crane outriggers to get you out ........the 10 year droughts were good,you could drive anywhere without a worry ..........then you get six months of rain and floods ,even pulling off the road was a risk.

More
8 months 1 week ago - 8 months 1 week ago #247553 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Old dog, no new tricks.
Yeas Louie

Stuck just means failing to proceed. Whether it is wheel-spinning on the wet grass in your car at the kids football oval or in a soft wet shoulder or 6 inches of sand on the edge of the road with your Kenworth.

Lang
Last edit: 8 months 1 week ago by Lang.

More
8 months 1 week ago - 8 months 1 week ago #247555 by Inter-Action
Stuck! Been stuck lots of times over the earlier years when working in the outback. This one was a bit of a test. Me and Rusty in the passengers seat. She stayed in the cab and kept an eye on things. This was inland from where there was a roadhouse called
Barradale? Some 100kms off the highway taking fuel out to one of our camps. Those drums are all full(24). Winch saved the day
and into the next day. Uprooted a few trees. Ground was so soft i just kept collecting firewood, which came in handy , camping
close to the truck. I didn't won't anyone to steal it did i ? Fun times. I would do it all again tomorrow , except for the worn out body.

Last edit: 8 months 1 week ago by hayseed. Reason: inserted pics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang, asw120, wee-allis, Brocky45, theabundantlife

Time to create page: 0.839 seconds