Skip to main content

Old dog, no new tricks.

More
8 months 1 week ago #247592 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Old dog, no new tricks.
Inter Action, being a CC I would say 4-71, we had one with a drill rig on it, main and aux gearboxes and took about 2 miles to get into top gear if lucky. Loved destroying rear axles.
As for being bogged have been involved with my fair share. Try 3 days to move an 80Ton drill rig 50 meters off location, a lot of digging and winching.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 months 1 week ago #247593 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Old dog, no new tricks.
First GM 4 strokes I new of were the 8.2 liter fuel pinchers, just on 200 hp, maybe 210

555 Cummins had a wonderful longevity and was super reliable compared to them

They had a very unusual block that the bores had no block on top of the bore
This caused head gasket issues and they were prone to getting hydrauliced

Spelling looks terrible Paul

Great photos everyone and I'm that dill that has been bogged with the float a few times, been on a big angle when one sides gone down and struggle to get out of the cab
Had the ass end well and truely stuck
Had the truck sitting on it's axles and the trailer still sitting normal

Yes sir, I at times are the champion of getting bogged

Gotta win at something though

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 months 1 week ago #247596 by Inter-Action
Thanks Paul. That's what it was. I thought about 8 litres. Fuel pincher also jogged the memory. Were they the first 4/s GM
had a go at? Crumbs it was gutless. 80 kms/hr flat strap with a tailwind and several kms to unwind the rubber band. Did they ever
improve or replace or never build any more.?
Just love how one blokes story can really dig up fond memories and stories. Keep it up fellas.
Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: theabundantlife

More
8 months 1 week ago - 8 months 1 week ago #247597 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic Old dog, no new tricks.
Now I have a bit of time I will tell a little story in response to Eddy's harsh comments, back about 2003 I had 6 blokes and we were installing the de-watering system in the then new under ground mine ''Ridgeway'' at Cadia mine near Orange NSW, as subbie to Pybar mining, now every now and then I would turn up with a truck load of gear or plant and as things progressed I ended up the emergency truck driver , that is to say when the truckie's turned up at the front gate and failed the drug test I would get a call. Now by the time the trucks started to roll in I would be at the bottom of the mine getting the boys going so it's a hour before I would get back to the gate house to take the truck down to the laydown yard for it to be unloaded, and I would then go back down the mine and the blokes at the gate would give me a call when they thought the driver was in a fit state to go back on the road sometimes it would be end of shift 7pm. Now I am a tad off 6 foot 6 and I have not missed many feeds, so most were a bit weary, but I have been called things and coped abused that would make paint peel and I just gave them :)
Last edit: 8 months 1 week ago by 77louie400.

More
8 months 1 week ago #247598 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Old dog, no new tricks.
No...GM made a series of V6 and V8 4 stroke diesels in the 1950s and 1960s..............far as I know the 'Fuel Pincher " v8s were to combat the popularity of the small V8 Caterpillars,that were originally called 'throw away motors',and the GM was supposed to be a 'throwaway motor 'too........around 500 ci was a popular size for V8s at one time with IH,Cummins, and Perkins making diesels that size.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Inter-Action

More
8 months 1 week ago #247599 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Old dog, no new tricks.
John I'm sure those GM's your possibly thinking of weren't Detroit's but GMC
Im fairly sure they were only offered in GMC products and were long before the fuel pincher series that I'm thinking of

Overlander shared some brouchers on the 8.2 fuel pincher in his thread on Detroits some time ago

They were as you say a "throw away motor" like the little Cat

Never sold many in Australia that I am aware of and had a terrible reputation as I mentioned

I feel those GMC "Toro Flow" diesels were just as bad, maybe worse

Im fairly sure that was the name of the GMC V6 and V8 diesels

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Inter-Action

More
8 months 1 week ago #247602 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Old dog, no new tricks.
Ive seen a few of them ....used to be one in a Leyland Harrier in Cyril Goldings yard at Darra ...........my old mate Bruce Dickson drove a Merceds Benz truck that had one in ...replacing a V6 Benz motor IIRC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Inter-Action

More
8 months 1 week ago #247607 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Old dog, no new tricks.
Lang poo-pooed the story, alluding to people in glass houses not throwing stones but in both my stories and in Zuffen's the driver was specifically told NOT to drive there.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Yes, I have been bogged a few times in my 63 years of driving and usually it has been my fault but only once where I was warned that the grass looked too soft.

Yesterday, a concrete agitator truck delivered a load to my mate and came nowhere near to getting bogged. He turned and stayed on the gravel that mate said was hard enough to take his truck.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds