Skip to main content

Ergomatic 2 pedal sleeper

More
14 years 1 month ago #25035 by mammoth
The sleeper is a genuine factory job - see flyer. More than a few were imported to Aus to satisfy the demand for "approved sleeper" which the authorities had specified. The Beaver for sale at Inverell had one but keith (nick name= Calamity) "missed a turn" near Dorrigo and dumped 25 ton of wheat in a paddock, and in the process wrote the cab off. I was looking at the flyer trying to work out how they got 2 berths in, but that was in the V8 Mandator which had no engine hump. The bunk is level with the top of the engine cover and each side are lockers, accessed by lifting up trap doors (good for roasting dinner?)
The story behind this one was a budding owner driver wqas having a go at interstate and conked out at Uralla (log book was left in cab, he spent 24hrs waiting for rescue). Repairs were done at Tamworth but was not able to pay so mech took possesion. It was then sold to a tin miner at Emmaville who wanted it for the motor for his ergo octopus (can be for sale). His men started dismantling but then the arse fell out of tin and it then sat for 20 odd years. Notice it has a fibreglass roof cover which also serves as sun visor. I'm hoping that the 2 pedal (10sp)gearbox will work ok. Not attempting to start it until I have the time to go through it properly.

I was trying to keep this project under wraps until it was going and restored but couldn't help myself

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25036 by IHScout
Hi Mammoth, nice find. That cab is pretty unique and well worth saving. Will certainly get some interest when you start displaying it. :)

Dennis

More
14 years 1 month ago #25037 by kennymopar2
i like it !

More
14 years 1 month ago #25038 by busntruck
Unfortunately not enough of the Ergo cab trucks are in the hands of collectors. :(
Mammoth thats are rare beast and a semi auto as well. 8-)

"Bite off more than you can chew and chew like hell."

More
14 years 1 month ago #25039 by bigcam
Mamoth, keep it under wraps? what are you thinking? the things fabulous, thanks for sharing.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25040 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Ergomatic 2 pedal sleeper
Mammmoth,

Congrats and full marks for saving one of the rarest Ergomatics...

Cheers,

T

More
14 years 1 month ago #25041 by cemeNTepede
Mammoth, Many thanks for the pics and good luck with the resto.I,too,hope the tranny's
a good one.
Just in passing,ever noticed that Aus 2 pedals have the standard "narrow" mudguards
while the Pommy ones had the "wide" AEC guards? Yep,trivial.

Yours is only the third sleeper I've seen.There was a Hippo at Port Adelaide on shunting duties at Simmons and Clarke's yard until about 5 years ago.
And Peter Towler had an 8x4 Mammoth Major fitted with one in Alice Springs,mid 80s.He sold it but I don't know where it went.Had a TL12 under the cab!

Sheppards/United had 2x2 pedals (with 1/2 cabs) shunting in the Gepps Cross depot
when I was there last about 2001.Only one was actually in use the other was being wrecked to keep it alive.

R/

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)

More
13 years 11 months ago #25042 by Andy Wright
Flipping hell, mate, that's awesome. Never thought I'd see one still around.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

Time to create page: 0.510 seconds