Skip to main content

Marine vs automotive / truck motor

More
1 month 1 week ago #251048 by Mrsmackpaul
What differences (in general) are there between automotive and marine motors ?

I notice that marine motors have big exhaust manifolds and usually some funny tanks hanging off them

what is the purpose of this stuff and what else is changed?

I assume the governor is changed 

I know nothing about boats at all except me and boats are best kept apart as a general rule

Paul 

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #251049 by wee-allis
Paul, most marine engines have water cooled manifolds, hence their large size. The engines themselves are usually fresh water cooled, which is turn cooled via heat exchangers cooled by "raw water" from under the boat.
Yes, they often have governors set differently and therefore have reduced HP output.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, overlander, PaulFH

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #251050 by roKWiz
My own experiences mucking about in boats for a while now. The governor is usually set to run within a narrow power band but higher rpm in most instances.
Most boats require a wet exhaust, usually only trawlers used dry exhaust stacks so the engine needs to either run raw sea water for cooling or freshwater cooling keels (external cooling pipes alongside the keel)
Our last boat was seawater cooled and pumped the surrounding water through a skin fitting via the engine driven pump, circulating the water around the block, then dumping it into a wet exhaust muffler and back out over the stern. Simple but hard on the engine, due to high corrosion aspect.
Ex trawler before we rebuilt to a liveaboard was originally a dry exhaust system but changed it over to freshwater cooling.

The engine has a closed system like a road going vehicle, the water is pumped around the block again by an engine driven water pump allowing it to travel down through the hull to long copper / SS piping.and circulated back up around the engine. .
The engine also needs a header tank fitted slightly above the engine with this system to act like a radiator top tank. 
The exhaust is seawater cooled needing a second engine driven pump to draw in the outside exhaust cooling water injected ideally just before the muffler.
Fresh air piping to the diesel is also a major factor.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by roKWiz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tim, overlander, PaulFH, asw120

More
1 month 1 week ago #251051 by Mrsmackpaul
Thanks wee allis

So is it as simple as unbolting manifolds and the water cooling stuff and changing the governor

I really know nothing about marine stuff

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, wee-allis

More
1 month 1 week ago #251061 by jon_d
And then, there are industrial engines such as generator engines where the governor is designed to hold a single engine speed regardless of the load.

eg:  a Generator should hold a speed which is a multiple of the AC power frequency and the number of windings in the alternator. (typically, 1500 rpm in Aust which converts back to 50hz)
The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
1 month 1 week ago #251073 by cobbadog
A mate n I fitted a 3 cylinder Daihatsu engine into a small jet boat to be a licensed fishing boat for mullet season. It was a simple conversion to marinise it using what looked lije an oversized yabby pump. Engine coolant ran tgrough small tubes in tge yabby pump body which in turn ocean water was pumped up via the jet system thriugh tge pump n back out.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.449 seconds