Skip to main content

Hello from WA. I'm a truckin newb.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25554 by Graveldick
Hi everyone. I'm new to your forum and am about to buy my first truck, a 1948 Bedford M series. I believe the seller is a HCVC member. ??

I am 30 and work as a spare parts manager for the local John Deere dealer here in Merredin WA.

This journey started when Dad was given my Grandfathers '38 Vauxhall 14/six sedan last year. While doing some intardnet research for my 'ol man about the Vauxhall I started getting the bug to start a hotrod project or perhaps restore something to it's former beauty. A few months ago I started looking seriously for such a project. Today I met a local guy who is looking to sell his partially restored Bedford truck.

I am keen as mustard to get this beasty and complete the work that the owner has so painstakingly carried out thus far. It is a wonderful project with most of the hard work already done. I can't wait to handover the $$ and get on with doing the current owner proud.

Anyway enuff dribble from me for now.

Cheers
Nigel aka Graveldick aka Grav aka GD. ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25555 by mammoth
welcome aboard Nigel. If you search back though the topics here you will find the K, M and O model Bedfords prompt a lot of talk. Good luck with it.
And in case the rules haven't been explained fully, we need to see photos.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25556 by GM Diesel
Gidday Gravel Doodle :D,

Welcome to the forum. Im in WA also just east of Mandurah.
I was pres of the HCVC in WA for a few years.
Let us know what bits you need for the Beddy. There is a few in the club.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #25557 by Graveldick
Cheers for the welcome boys.

Well we (my wife, kids and I) bought her tonight and had a bit more of a chin wag with the current owner. I believe Alan is a member of HCVC here in WA and that the Bedford has appeared in the HCVC newsletter before.

We are looking forward to collecting all her bits over the next few weeks and starting the next page of her life. My wife and my 3 kids aged 8-11 are going to help get her finished off and back together.

My sister (who lives at Brookton) has given me a challenge to have her ready for next years Brookton vintage motor show. I might be pushing my luck there but ya never know.

Thanx for the info re finding parts for her Basil. Apparently she is fairly complete including some of the really hard to get stuff but as I find anything I need i'll be sure to put the word out.

Anyway here are a few pics taken at Alan's place to get started with and as I progress I'll post more.

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

Cheers for lookin.

Grav.
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by Graveldick.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25558 by GM Diesel
Gidday Nigel,

Brookton is bi-annual and its on this weekend so you have two years to get it finished.
Look foward to seeing it finished.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25559 by Bugly
Gidday Grav -

Love the truck! Photo looks like it must be the long-bonnet, short deck model, hey? ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Bugly

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

14 years 1 month ago #25560 by
Hi Nigel , welcome to the forum and if you need the side lights which are little hard to find good ones I might be able to help and plus other strange things . Dave

More
14 years 1 month ago #25561 by Graveldick
Cheers all for the welcome. I'll be collecting her after easter. Once I get her home and start checking what parts I have I'll get an idea of what i might need to look out for. I think :-/ Alan said he had the side lights for her but I'll be sure to contact you if i need a set Dave and cheers for the offer.

The main thing I'm looking for at the moment is a manual or parts book so I can see how things bolt together. Not that I think I'll have too much trouble. Pretty straight forward looking machinery. I can't wait to get my teeth into it. ;)

14 years 1 month ago #25562 by
Hi Nigel ,
For parts books I have found the place find them is at 2nd hand book shops I have found all the ones I have there at about $25 -30 seems a fair price. Dave

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #25563 by Graveldick
I have found this link to the Morawa District Historical Society. members.westnet.com.au/caladenia/vehicle.html

They have quite a few manuals available in electronic form. I'm sure you are probably already aware of the site but I thought I'd post it anyway.

The best part is they have a couple of manuals that cover our Bedford. :)

I collected a lot of her parts and panels 2 weeks ago as well as her cab which is currently resting in my backyard.

Hopefully this weekend we'll get her front end back together so I can have the chassis rolling again ready to be towed to her new home.

We have named her Smoky because of the letter stamping on one of her ID plates. I'm not quite sure what smoky was?? some part of the colour scheme I gather.

Here is my eldest son 'driving' Smoky's cab. ;)
[IMG

Here is the plate with the 'Smoky' inscription.
[IMG

Here are the selection of badges that came with her. The 2 on the Left are her badges and the bent one on the right was an extra.
[IMG

More pics after the weekend. Don't forget your dawn services. Respect to the ANZACS ;)

Cheers Grav.

Time to create page: 0.485 seconds