Skip to main content

Timewarp Loadstar saved................

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #26096 by Cunning Stunt
I was chatting to a mate from the ACT a few weeks ago named Graham McKie. I'm sure that a few of you know him from the excellent sound recordings he has done of 2-stroke diesel engines. These are fantastic and capture sounds that will soon be forgotten including Detroit's of various cylinder numbers and configurations as well as Commer Knocker and Foden 2-stroke screamers. One of the trucks he recorded was a beautifully preserved (and still working) International Loadstar tow truck factory fitted with a 6-53 and backed by a 5 speed Clark and a 3 speed joey box. This truck was bought new in 65 and the tow company called Everlast bought it in 1968 and made it into a wrecker, using it for recovery purposes until two years ago. Unfortunately the long term employee of Everlast who had driven it from day one suddenly passed away :( and the owner of the business wouldn't trust anyone else to drive it so it has sat there, untouched with just over 183'000 miles on the clock.

So Graham called me and in the midst of his conversation he said that the Loadstar looked like it may be going onto the market for the right person. I contacted one of my long term mates who, along with his wife and kids, are avid fans of the Cornbinders and between them have a nice collection of various eras of the marque. Today we went down with a float and picked the old girl up :). It is rust free, mechanically sound and is an absolute pearler. Safe to say that it is also in good hands 8-). Hope you all like it. It will eventually be restored back to its current colours and signwork complete with tow body :)

Some play hard to get

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #26097 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
That's a great little truck Bruce. Nice cab controls. You can tell it was driven up till recently. Which is the lucky State? Up here in Sydney?

Kind Regards

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #26098 by kennymopar2
it is a great little truck ..id even go as far as driving it everyday (if it were mine) to the shops just to hear the screaming meanie

More
14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #26099 by Loadstar
I'm really jealous, great to see another one saved and go to a good home, harder and harder to get a good original one, great pictures Cunning thanks.
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by Loadstar.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #26100 by landyscott
good to see this family got another truck there all very avid truck fans father and sons all members of hunter valley classic commercial vechicle club

14 years 3 weeks ago #26101 by
Well you dont find gems like this very often hope fully we will see down at Sandown (Vic) sometime. Dave

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #26102 by cribotow
;D look better parked next to my Dodge,once in a lifetime find..........paint it red ;D

&&Grasp

More
14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #26103 by Jake Brake
What an original and well maintained old loadstar, lucky you Cunning Stunt. I have a dvd that Graham McKie recorded of the loadstar with the old boy at the wheel and stirring those twin sticks , this guy knew how to drive this truck.
Cheers Ray

PS: Cunning Stunt, that looks like a White 9000 cab and bonnet or a Diamond Reo in the background in the 4th pic is this right?

White the greatest name in trucks.
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by Jake Brake.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #26104 by Cunning Stunt
It's a Diamond Reo Ray.....................it's seen better days (thanks to a tree) ;)

Some play hard to get

More
14 years 2 weeks ago - 14 years 2 weeks ago #26105 by r600
cunning stunt i know this truck i was born in canberra and had seen this loadstar around heaps,i think the guy that drove its name was dave.b the last time i saw the truck it looked or always did look in top looking condition.i was talking to my dad still in canberra the other day and told him it had been sold and he new a little about it,do you know its history???the truck was bort new from intermotors queanbeyan and was prime mover with tipping trailer,then everlast got and put the back on it,if you want to message me and i can get you the name of the guy that had it from new,hope this helps,cheers adrian
Last edit: 14 years 2 weeks ago by r600.

Time to create page: 0.461 seconds