Skip to main content

Stupid Question - Possibly

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #26172 by GM Diesel
This im sure is a dumb question but im curious :D
Is there any reason why I cant tow a second trailer with the Transtar providing the whole lot doesnt exceed the GCM ?

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #26173 by
Replied by on topic Re: Stupid Question - Possibly
G'day Basil,
I've got no idea, but I see that on the VicRoads site there are different regos for 'Short-Combination Prime Movers' and 'Multi Combination Prime Movers'.... So I guess towing 2 trailers on a 'Short Combination' rego would be frowned upon.

What rego class is your truck?

-Stu

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #26174 by bigcam
I know you can't in Queensland, unless the truck is registered as a Road Train or B double prime mover (mainly so they can charge you more, and the vehicle has to meet Speed Limiting and once your over a certain wieght, I think ABS, as well as other requirements). It would be worth asking the question when you go to register it, they can only say no. Even if your GCM is 30 tonnes it still needs to be registered as Road Train or B double in Queensland. State Governments being what they are, I reckon all the other states will be the same. I've been going to ask Queensland Transport if I can register the Road Boss on Special Interest (Club) plates as a Road Train, but I havn't had the need to go up there. The Road Boss was previously registered as a Road Train though.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #26175 by GM Diesel
I thought I would get laughed of the forum with my question but maybe it wasnt so stupid.

Ive found some info for WA now and it looks pretty much the same as other states.
All comes down to what the man puts on my paperwork when does the licence inspection. MC2 or SP2. ;)

Basil

Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by GM Diesel.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #26176 by bigcam
Next question Baz, have you got a Heavy Combination (HC) license or a Multiple Combination (MC). In Queensland, if you've got the HC, and one of your pals will put up with you for 50 hours in a B double, it's only a form to change it to MC.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #26177 by GM Diesel
Gidday Cam,

I have an MC so im fine there.
It all comes down to MC2 being put on the licence papers for the Tramcar during its inspection.
Its close to $5500 more to licence a prime mover as an MC than a single trailer SP2 but as its going on club licence the $83 fee is the same for both if you get my drift.
The WA club licence system is full licence restricted use with no GCM reduction. Its not a permit system like other states so its perfectly legal for a club sanctioned event.
How this all came about is a friend of mine with an Inter was going to tow his 28' strap trailer to Alice but he has engine troubles and he reckons he wouldnt make it. Having a bundy the other night he noticed the ringfeder on the back of my Fruehauf and made the comment if I dragged the strap trailer with the Inter onboard to Alice he'd pay my fuel both ways....not that I would but that is how this started me thinking about it.

I reckon with a new truck and trailer plus a 903 to worry about that will be enough without more crap hanging of the back. :D

Basil

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #26178 by Sarge
Do it, Baz, it would be the most awsome sight in town, you have got the grunt to romp it in....
sort of thing one day I would like to do... not just (another) old truck, but a real worker and working big time... awsome... do it ........ be THE MAN [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #26179 by Cunning Stunt
You tell him Sarge ;D

My thought Basil is that you are allowed to tow 2/3rds of your legal carrying capacity on club plates.............just don't load them up too much!!!

Some play hard to get

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #26180 by GM Diesel
Sarge,

Yes I agree it would be abit of fun but common sense prevails here.
If I lived 300 k's from Alice I would
The question was more loaded towards could it be done legally.
Maybe for a couple of hundred k's one day I will do it for a laugh but 5500k round trip to Alice would be painfull thing to do....bordering on stupid

Basil

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #26181 by mammoth
At one time in NSW, before the likes of us were putting the bigger jiggers on historic rego some blokes had those 1930's light truck & trailer setups on one number plate. The principle of seperate regos for prime mover and trailer has subsequently been established so the question being asked is following this progression. As far as I can see, so long as each component of the train is rated (without modern modification) and operated to comply with all the current regulations it should be possible. Go for it Cam. Dubbo is in a road train area so you can do a demo at the next show there!

Time to create page: 0.501 seconds