Skip to main content

Acco 1730

• Topic Author
14 years 2 weeks ago #26540 by
Acco 1730 was created by
Had a look at a International ACCO 1730 C built 1982.

Was told it was a 210 hp turbo diesel and is coupled to a 5 speed box with a 2 speed axle. Would this be correct for the enigne? And how can I confirm what the engine is? The gearbox and diff does appear correct.

The truck is a very short wheel base but is a prime mover! I assume even these short wheel base prime mover would meet a standard and able to take a normal trailer? I believe it was on water cart duties previously.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago - 14 years 2 weeks ago #26541 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Acco 1730
What motor is in it Jarrod? is a Perkins Phaser? Check the compliance plate for a GCM as well, from memory the 1730 would only have come out as a low hp body truck/tipper etc. You'll want a reasonable GCM on the compliance plate to pull a trailer, 5 tonnes for the truck, about 5 tonnes for a light bogie trailer, 6tonnes+ for your stuff, look for over 20 tonnes, because you'll be bound to get more crap once you've got a bigger truck. If it's been a water truck check the chassis for rust
Last edit: 14 years 2 weeks ago by bigcam.

• Topic Author
14 years 2 weeks ago #26542 by
Replied by on topic Re: Acco 1730
Bigcam,

This is the purpose of the question atki seems to think it unlikely to be a Phaser 210 and more likely to be a perkins 150hp with turbo. But how to tell the difference between the two?

The GCM on the plate is 19 tons. I was working on about 4 tonnes for the truck and 4 or 5 for a single axle trailer. Giving 10 tonnes of stuff. My two heaviest things I have being the Thornycroft and the Inter Ab to gether would weigh less than 10!

Chassis looks ok from what I can see. A mate of mine who knows more about these types of things is going to check it out for me.

The great thing I see it with this truck is it is only small so easy to handle. Should do everything I need. Plus doesn't have anything complicated such as Road ranger boxes with range changing, cross diff locks, power dividers etc!

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26543 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Acco 1730
i doubt if the motor is original ..the inter diesel motors ie DT466 were 210 hp along with some perkins phasers BUT they were never fitted to a 1730c .. im guessing it maybe a perkins turbo (also prob not factory motor) the turbo perkins were good motors but in a prime mover a bit small . . the acco mite have a VT190 retro fitted ?

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26544 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Acco 1730
the perkins phaser is a totally diff motor to the old 6.354 one is 5.8 litr the phaser is a 6 litre with a bigger turbo and from memory a wider alloy tappet cover & clutch fan. . a phaser at 210hp wouldnt be so bad

• Topic Author
14 years 2 weeks ago #26545 by
I know it isn't a good shot. But here is a photo of the engine.

It is only a 19 ton prime mover. wouldn't need much!

More
14 years 2 weeks ago - 14 years 2 weeks ago #26546 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Acco 1730
Ah Jarrod, old mate could be exgerating just a little claiming 210 hp, that looks like Nuess, probobly about 130 hp, though I could be wrong about the output because it does look like a turbo hanging off the side, might be as Kenny says, a DT 466. It isn't a 6/354 or a Phaser. The truck at least should be very cheap. Looks like the chassis is covered up with a walk plate or something, take it off and have a good look. ACCO's also get rusty behind the doors and pretty much eveywhere, have a good look.
Last edit: 14 years 2 weeks ago by bigcam.

• Topic Author
14 years 2 weeks ago #26547 by
Definatly got a turbo on the side.

Had a good look around for the standard cabin inclusion on all old inters!

Appears to have a lot less than my AB! Only found one exposed unfixed rust. There are signs of repairs (to be expected). But for an inter looks reasonable in this area!

• Topic Author
14 years 2 weeks ago - 14 years 2 weeks ago #26548 by
The turbo D358 Neuss is 150HP, and they were built in Germany for International, and are now a very expensive motor to rebuild. They are also fitted to some of the 70's and 80's IH wheeltractors.
I last rebuilt one about 10 years ago, it cost about $8000 then, and parts were getting hard to source for them then, but they are an antique now.

They weren't a bad motor, but they were only 150HP and a lot of blokes didn't like them. They were the competitor to Perkins and produced 150HP when Perkins were still stuck on 120HP and they had no turbo offering in the truck engines.
Make sure the engine is in good nick, or you'll be up for a lot of $$$'s if it's sick.
Check out the fuel pump and injectors, they use a rotary pump and the injection equipment is pricey for them.

Also, try and make sure it's a genuine turbo Neuss. The N/A Neuss used an unhardened crankshaft, but the genuine turbo engine used a nitrided crankshaft.
If someone has just dropped a turbo on a bog standard N/A engine, it won't last the distance.

• Topic Author
14 years 2 weeks ago #26549 by
Will have another good look at it!

Thanks for the input! Couldn't find half this info elsewhere!

Thanks Guys!

Jblair

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds