Skip to main content

Acco 1730

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26550 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Acco 1730
Ron, it's not a DT466 is it? I recall the tappet cover on the Nuess and DT 466 where similar, but I can't remember much else. The DT 466 was what replaced the VT 190 handgrenade, it went from 1950C to 2250D once IH realised the VT was a bit of a dud. The DT466 I thought had a reasonable reputation.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
14 years 2 weeks ago #26551 by
Replied by on topic Re: Acco 1730
Cam - It sure looks like a Nuess to me, with the red colour and the shape of the rocker cover. AFAIK, the DT466's were all black, or a deep charcoal grey colour.

For general information, JB asked how to tell the difference between the 160HP and 210HP Perkins Phaser engines. The 160HP engine is just turboed, the 210HP engine is turboed and aftercooled (intercooled, in some terminology). Look for the intake air cooler between turbo and engine, and if it has one, it's a 210HP engine.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26552 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Acco 1730
I agree Ron, but I havn't seen a DT 466 for a long time so I can't remember. Every DT 466 I saw was dark grey. The Turbo 6/354 wasn't as good as the old 6/354. The Phaser was a purpose built turbo motor. One thing for sure, it definatly hasn't got a Perkins in it though.

• Topic Author
14 years 2 weeks ago - 14 years 2 weeks ago #26553 by
Replied by on topic Re: Acco 1730
Here ya go .. I pulled this pic off the 'net, it's a picture of a Neuss D-239 engine being separated from its tractor drivetrain. The D-239 is the 4 cyl version of the D-358, the head and block shape and all the other parts are identical in appearance to the D-358, just shorter.

If you compare this pic with the one above, you'll see the rear of the engines look identical, apart from the D-239 not being turboed.

I'm trying to resurrect the dead brain cells and remember what the exact HP ratings for the N/A and turbo D-358 were.
It seems like 131HP comes to mind for the N/A engine, and 150HP for the turboed version. I know the N/A engine had a few more HP than the N/A 6-354 Perkins, and truck buyers liked that .. :D

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26554 by theroadbossman
Replied by theroadbossman on topic Re: Acco 1730
Looks to me that JBlairs engine is certainly a Noyce, the DT466 don't have the offset welsch plug in the back of the head.
Bretto ;)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26555 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Acco 1730
Have found another unit for sale an ACCO 2150B, with 555 Cummins and 10 speed roadranger. Any particular problems with these engines?
How do you know if a turntable is good without hooking a trailer on ?

More
14 years 2 weeks ago - 14 years 2 weeks ago #26556 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Acco 1730
definatly looks like a neuss D358 ..i had a turbo neuss D358 in my old 1979 1830B acco ..international never released them with a turbo in a truck here in Oz. .dont agree with expensive to rebuild i put new sleeves pistons rings gaskets etc in mine for under $1500 (genuine parts obviously cost more). . being a tractor motor there are plenty of rebuild kits on the market! ..the turbo should be a small Switzer most likely from a international tractor . . i used to run my acco with a trailer long distance (rigid truck) all up weight around 15 ton .. it performed ok (similer to my 175hp non turbo UD)but with exceptional fuel economy

555 = triple trouble ..
Last edit: 14 years 2 weeks ago by kennymopar2.

Time to create page: 0.456 seconds