Skip to main content

Sydney to Mildura - The best way??

More
14 years 4 days ago - 14 years 4 days ago #27733 by newbie dave
Hi all,long time reader,second time poster.I am driving from Sydney to Mildura in October for the power boat races,and am wondering what the best way to go is? Obviously the Hume south from Sydney,then the most logical way seems to be the Sturt Hwy due west all the way to Mildura...BUT I have been told by people I have talked to that the Sturt is a crappy highway,mostly single lane each way and slow going in a car (getting stuck behind trucks) ....I dont know,I have never driven the road.Others have said to head further south to Albury Wodonga and then take the Murray Valley Hwy (i think thats what its called?) to Mildura,as it is a better road.I thought you driving pro's might be the best bunch to get some advice from.Cheers.
Last edit: 14 years 4 days ago by newbie dave.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 days ago #27734 by kennymopar2
maybe try "whereis.com.au" it usually takes you there the best way by the best roads ..also if you are worried ablout "slow" trucks if you go on a saturday there usually arnt a great number of trucks on the road ..(they start again on sunday for the interstate deliveries)

14 years 4 days ago - 14 years 4 days ago #27735 by
The Hume is nice and wide, and easy running .. but if the Sturt is as bad as they reckon, you could head straight out the Mid-Western, via Lithgow, Bathurst, Cowra, Grenfell, West Wyalong, Hay .. and then onto the Sturt, for the last 300km sprint to Mildura. I don't reckon there would be a lot of kms difference in the total, with either route.
It's a pretty good open drive once you get West of Bathurst, right down to Hay, with less traffic overall than heading down the Hume and then along the Sturt. Thursday night and Friday morning would probably be the worst time, because trucks are heading to Sydney to get unloaded on Friday.

Trucks usually travel in fairly close groups .. they all want to get there at about the same time .. while they can still get unloaded.
I can recall parking up in a little town in Western South Australia, one Friday night (I think it was Poochera) .. and then having about 150 trucks roar through regularly, all night .. on their run to the West, so they could hit Perth Sunday night or Monday morning, for early unloading .. :D

More
14 years 7 hours ago #27736 by philip
hume hwy then sturt hwy mate road is perfect you can sit on 100mph with ease its that good no hold ups at all.

More
14 years 5 hours ago #27737 by aussie l plate
either run the hume, down too wagga hill, and take the wagga exit, that takes you out the sturt hwy, or keep going down too wodonga, about 20 k south of wodonga, take the rutherglen exit (murry vally highway)
i have used both of these routes in a truck, and find there both got good points, and bad pionts, but at the end of the day, there not much difference either way you go

More
13 years 11 months ago #27738 by Crashbox
As Philip said, south on 31, take the Adelaide exit and your laughing

Enjoy life. It has an expiry date!!

More
13 years 11 months ago #27739 by theroadbossman

Hi all,long time reader,second time poster.I am driving from Sydney to Mildura in October for the power boat races,and am wondering what the best way to go is? Obviously the Hume south from Sydney,then the most logical way seems to be the Sturt Hwy due west all the way to Mildura...BUT I have been told by people I have talked to that the Sturt is a crappy highway,mostly single lane each way and slow going in a car (getting stuck behind trucks) ....I dont know,I have never driven the road.Others have said to head further south to Albury Wodonga and then take the Murray Valley Hwy (i think thats what its called?) to Mildura,as it is a better road.I thought you driving pro's might be the best bunch to get some advice from.Cheers.

:oWhat races U going to in October at Mildura - ski racing or circuit boat racing?? :o
Bretto ;)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
13 years 11 months ago #27740 by cobba
My 50c.
I live on the border in the Albury/Wodonga area.
At the moment they are very close to completing the last bits of a dual lane highway between the two state capitals. The Hume is pretty good all the way from Sydney down to Gundagia and parts beyond. Once you get down around Tarcutta it is road construction and varying speed limits with lots of cops, possible delays and a high risk of a ticket.

Holbrook is another place to be right on the speed limit and high on concentration. It seems that almost every second week there is a major accident south of here involving at least one truck. I am sure any of the Melbourne Sydney drivers will agree with this.

My choice would be head straight inland like onetrack suggested. I rode Bathurst, Cowra to West Wyalong recently on a bike and I reckon the road was pretty good, well made and shouldered with a fair few overtaking lanes and lots of other opportunities to get around. A lot of fellas complain about how boring it is out on the Hay plains, but you're not doing it on a daily basis so it's an adventure no matter which way you go.
This route is about 1000Ks where as going down the Hume and then back along the Murray Valley is closer to 1200.

One last thing. Are you towing anything. I'm imagining you are. If so, I find the hills along the Hume are a lot of up and down and some are quite long with a decent grade. They can really slow you down and suck up the fuel. Can't say I have driven out of Sydney heading West in a car but didn't seem to bad on the bike from Bathurst on.

Cheers. Cobba.

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #27741 by newbie dave
theroadbossman - it is a UIM BAD (blown alcohol displacement) boat meeting.It is the first time we have held them in oz,and it will be spectacular.There will be 6 US teams,a couple of NZ teams,and a heap of OZ teams.These boats are the meanest on the water - most run 500+ Cu In motors,blown alcohol, 2000+ Hp,good for about 180-190 MPH down the straights.Quite a aural and visual delight!! Get down there the weekend of October 15th,it is gunna be a great party!!
Also thanks to the guys who have replied,it is great to get an insight from some people who have driven the roads.
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by newbie dave.

More
13 years 11 months ago #27742 by theroadbossman
newbie dave, as in Dave Newby?
If so, you have supplied many bits for my blown classic (rear seater) hydroplanes over the years...
You're right, ain't nuthing better than a BAD at full noise! (except maybe a Blown Hydro at full noise too ;D)
Think I'll save my pennies for the World GP titles later this year at Yarrawonga.
Have fun down there
cheers, Bretto ;)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

Time to create page: 0.555 seconds