Skip to main content

Old Inter Info?

More
13 years 8 months ago #33171 by Old AB
Replied by Old AB on topic Re: Old Inter Info?
Got the 281 and the 4 speed in my old AB ute. Low gear is only there for show, never gets used. But handy if just crawling around the yard. ;D Fuel is not a problem, unless its loaded. Can fit 10 truck tyres on rims in the back, and go to the tyre service. watch the guage moving. Fine when touring empty :D ;) Just make sure the heater works. You will need that down there at this time of the year.

Keep old inters alive.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #33172 by
Replied by on topic Re: Old Inter Info?
1st is just a creaper on most medium / heavy trucks. Always like what is in my Thornycroft manual. It basically says that if you need to take off on the flat in 1st gear you are overloaded. And should off load some weight. Goes on to say that 1st is used to creap up steap ramps or edge up to corners etc. The only time I regularly use 1st in the AB is of course to creap. But also for taking off with a full load (anything but down hill!).

But when I say full load. My AB is rated at 6.8 GVM and with one of my toys on it the weight is up at around 6.2. My truck has the AGD 240 and it had a incorrect carby on it I believe like someone mentione from a old falcon or something. It was fine for just crusing but under load it just ran out of puff! I ended up getting a reco carby from I think for a AGD 264 engine. Give me back the power and still reasonable on the juice. All depends on what you want you truck to do! Economy or Power. Can't have one without losing some of the other!

As for the other figures you asked about:-

Front axle FA 12
Rear axle RA 15
Steering S 3
Engine 6-281
Transmission T 17

These numbers are International Model numbers. My books don't have the front axle. But some of the others are.

For example the RA15 is a full floating diff with a 4.88 ratio holds 4 pints of oil (lots of other stats).

S3 steering 20:1 ratio twin lever, with 1" shaft and 18" steering wheel.

The rest of the items aren't coverd in my AB manual. But knowing International they are most likely direct replacements for the AB range of products!

13 years 8 months ago #33173 by
Replied by on topic Re: Old Inter Info?
Oh just read some more of your posts. Be care full of the bonnet hinges. I had problems with them and you mention that you also finding they aren't closing correctly.

What I found was that they are very poor design. But as Inter has used this design for many years it is usually easy to pick up another set.

Oh as for your question about no shocks on the rear. I haven't yet seen any internationals pre at least 1977 with them!

More
13 years 8 months ago #33174 by carnut1100
Replied by carnut1100 on topic Re: Old Inter Info?
Hmmmm...that axle ratio differes from the 4.30:1 marked on another plate on it...

I realise power and economy are the enemies of each other...if I get it she will work hard at times!

That 5 speed is no longer in the truck...she has a 4 speeder in it now...

I wonder if anyone has repowered one of these with something like an Isuzu 6BD and 5 speed...that would move it along quite nicely and be economical too...

More
13 years 5 months ago #33175 by Kruizin
Replied by Kruizin on topic Re: Old Inter Info?
Carnut, I've had a few of these old girls and my experience has always been that rust on the floor like in your photo means the cowling vents have been full of leaves and rusted through the plenum chamber up behind the dash, allowing water to drip onto the floor whenever it rains! :(

'73 D1410 4x4 Tray

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #174314 by Kruizin
Replied by Kruizin on topic Old Inter Info?
Such a shame that the 5-speed is no longer in the truck, as the T-34 it had in it is the rare-as-rocking-horse-shit overdrive five speed. I've been looking for one for years and the only one I've found is in Tasmania and the guy is asking $1200.

'73 D1410 4x4 Tray
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Kruizin. Reason: Duplicate

More
7 years 7 months ago #174326 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Old Inter Info?
Kruzin,

Buy yourself a 50th Birthday present (early!) and get the transmission.

If you've been looking for years you may be too old to fit it by the time another surfaces.

You can't take money with you but you can die with the most toys.

I say get it.

More
7 years 7 months ago #174330 by d23j
Replied by d23j on topic Old Inter Info?
$1200 is cheap for one of them, but the Isuzu 6 is a better box

Time to create page: 0.461 seconds