Skip to main content

Some old KW pics

More
13 years 6 months ago #37230 by oldfulla
Replied by oldfulla on topic Re: Some old KW pics
All

QUESTION/QUIZ: Is there any old runners who remember/know/guess the purpose of the short mudflaps fitted between the axles of either tandem or tri axle vehicles of older times?. Like those shown in the photo of the KW with the new tri axle Haulmark trailer and on the trailer behind the ACCO 3070 (both photos above)

EG: Why were they fitted in that era? Why arent they still used (for a long time) on current vehicles? Why did the flap actually drag on the ground as in the ACCO photo?

I think I know the answer, but would like to confirm my thinking.

Oldfulla ::)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #37231 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Some old KW pics
hi oldfulla
i reckon they were 'scrapers' to knock the nails back down so as the next row didnt get a puncture.
That was the infomation that was passed down to me from my ol man
regards
chocs 8-)

More
13 years 6 months ago #37232 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Re: Some old KW pics
werkhorse- yeah that sounds right, I reckon when the KW arrived it had a yellow chassis, white cab (very faded, kinda white ish anyway) with a sort of maroon horizontal stripe along the cab/bonnet. Pretty ugly in its day!
oldfulla- yeah my take is the same as chocs, I was told they were scrapers too, isn't it funny how these ideas come and go.. and yet at the time they would have been a "must have"... same as widespread trailers and all these other ridiculous ideas that bureaucrats come up with, make law, and then we have to follow!

More
13 years 6 months ago #37233 by Chocs
copy that!
chocs8-)

More
13 years 6 months ago #37234 by oldfulla
Replied by oldfulla on topic Re: Some old KW pics
Chocs

Spot on. We actually added 'nail' to the name - 'Nail Scrapers'. But they were just as effective for sharp rocks etc.

And they worked a treat from my limited exerience. To the point where almost without exception - if one got a puncture on a tyre that was proceeded by a scraper - it was because it had worn too short or been torn off.

And as to why the nails were there was a question no one ever answered. Usually those old lead head roofing nails. Every time the road was graded more would appear, along with those small sharp rocks.

Admittedly - this mostly applied to dirt roads and rag tyres - things of the past - hence no one uses them any more. Or those who still run dirt dont know the theory.

The reason I posed the question as I did - was in all my time on the road (back then) - the guy I worked for and only one other ever knew the reason for them.

The guy I worked for was running 2 bogie drive tipers on a 30 klm round trip on dirt. He was so convinced of their effectiviness he would stop work and replace them or weld the bracket back on if he got a flat (puncture). I was young and silly enough to question the need to stop during the day for these repairs and suggested it could wait until the end of the day. He agreed that I could run with a broken one - and after changing 2 flats for the morning - I glued the flap back on and became an immediate convert. But was forever left wondering why other operators werent so informed (or didnt seem to be) and happy to keep changing tyres.

Oldfulla

More
13 years 6 months ago #37235 by Chocs
i agree with all that as well!!!
i might strap some on me spread dog to start the trend going again!
Ya dont even see a nice guard and flap any more..
mostly full circle plastic / ally now..
Quicker and easier i guess and keeps a level of compliance 'standard'
I do run em on the truck and dog though
**sorry for goin off the original thread
regards
chocs 8-)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 6 months ago #37236 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Some old KW pics

Gr8 Info n thread guys

Workhorse thanx for the Seaton pix
Yes they did do a lot of Caterpillar stuff on semis

OldFulla n Chocs
U may call m Scrapers or nail Scrapers
Az I kno m as Sweepers
way back when, we had a triaxle float th@ had 40" (1m) axle centers n every other day I had a flat tyre from mostly nails
so I fitted a set of sweepers n th @ended 90% of the flat tyres I twaz getn
so they do work

OldFulla

RE: And as to why the nails were there was a question no one ever answered. Usually those old lead head roofing nails. Every time the road was graded more

Can I have a guess @ this
when they mark out the rds for alignment or white/yello lines they hammer nails in the ground/tard Rd n used roofin nails so the big broard nail head could easily B seen
n if they miss Q hitn the head of the nail n bend it they chuk it off to the side of Rd, then the grader driver carefully grades the nails where they kno U gunna B runiin the big rig

Purely a Wild Ass Guess (WAG)
or Guesstimate
LOL
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 6 months ago #37237 by Chocs
heres a nail theory for ya's..
What about the nails falling out of the wooden floored trailers and the nails out of the pallets etc?
thats my 2 bobs worth..
but i'm only a young fulla
regards
chocs 8-)

More
13 years 6 months ago #37238 by X RED X
Replied by X RED X on topic Re: Some old KW pics
Hi guys, does anyone know if that 80s Aerodyne is still alive or kicking about anywhere? It certainley is one nice rig.Or are there any sitting around for sale?
Thanks in advance
Red

More
13 years 6 months ago #37239 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Some old KW pics
There was one for sale recently on E-bay PM me can give directions to where it was Don't know if it still there but might be
Geoffb

Time to create page: 0.479 seconds