Skip to main content

Jackknife George

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #42369 by ronhorse
Jackknife George was created by ronhorse

Comming into Renner Springs from delivering the mail to Larimah I had burnt out 2 valves on the petrol motor and about to burn out another, I limped into John and Dorothy Doyle's road house, the engine quit and that was that. Sometime later my mate George Richards came along with Kittle's Bedford with a load of large fuel drums of oil for the mines at Tennant Ck, He said, "you can't stay here there's no beer, I'll tow you into Tennant" We hooked up a long chain and off we went, everything fine until we got to Churchill's head jump up, about 3 quarters of the way up the bedford would not make it, none of the trucks had enough braking power to hold them on a jumpup so he let it go, knowing I was behind him and nowhere to go he swung the wheel and it did a perfect jackknife with the semi sitting on it's belly on the edge of the cliff, the best piece of driving I have ever seen, the tanks tumbling off down the ravine, Jeff kittle came up with one of his Fodens and pilled us both up to the top, I sent word down to Alice for a new cylinder head and George was forever known as JACKKNIFE GEORGE!!!

anything above the reasoning of a mongrel dog is a waste of time
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by bigcam.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #42370 by melonreo
Replied by melonreo on topic Re: Jackknife George
Unreal :). you must have some more to tell :) :)

More
13 years 4 months ago #42371 by ronhorse
Replied by ronhorse on topic Re: Jackknife George
Thanks melonreo, it was an interesting time, everything wide open, like the wild west!!! The trailer on the back of the K6 has a bit of history, it was originally from an International ex-army K3 semi, when the K3 died we made it into a 4 wheel trailer, 16 inch wheels, During the 50's brothers Jim and Stan Martin who originally owned Martins Overland transport, carting out on the Murranji track to Wave Hill Stn, started a Pan Australia Parcel Service between Adelaide a Alice springs using Inter R130"s and used this trailer as a semi on one.

anything above the reasoning of a mongrel dog is a waste of time

More
13 years 4 months ago #42372 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Re: Jackknife George
Boggles the mind to think of that sort of stuff. And now your truck isn't roadworthy without reflectors on it or a tiny rust bubble etc.
Unreal stories and pics Ron, keep em coming please!

Time to create page: 0.504 seconds