Skip to main content

International AB 120 4X4 Story

More
13 years 1 month ago #47714 by David

Finally trying to post some photos, hope it works. Here is my dads work truck in the early 1960's. He worked for National Mapping in Qld spending 7-9 months a year mapping outback Qld.

David

Inter AB110&&Inter AB120 4X4&&Inter C1200

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #47715 by David
It worked!!!

More
13 years 1 month ago #47716 by kenny-mopar
great photo

More
13 years 1 month ago #47717 by David
Dear All,

This is my International story.

I have wanted to restore an old vehicle for many years, but could not decide on what make etc. Five years ago I thought a small truck/pickup would be a good place to start. My idea was that a ute/pickup would be a bit easier as they had half the body work and less fit and finsh. I started looking at 1950's Ford F trucks, but with a lack of Australian vehicles started looking at other options.

My dad had always told me stories of his time in National Mapping in the early 1960's and the back bone of their fleet, the International AB120 4X4. Before he was married he spent some years mapping outback Queensland as a newly graduated surveyor. Based in Melbourne, the party would drive to Queensland for up to 9 months mapping the outback. They would then return to Melbourne to document and present their data. The parties would consist of up to 4 International AB 4X4's, some type of Bedford 4X4 truck. This carried some of the bulk items, like fuel for the helicopter etc. The Inters carried food, water, equipment and the survey instruments. Unless they were in one of the towns, they camped in tents or under the open sky. Not sure a new uni grad would put up with the conditions these days!

So looking for a brand of truck to buy, I thought why not the Inter. It was Australian made and I had the family connection, plus bits and pieces seemed easier to find. My mind made up I started looking for the AB120 4X4. Easier said than done. I think my first visit to this site was nearly 5 years ago, and in that time, I found very few came up for sale. But my luck did change....

More
13 years 1 month ago #47718 by David
So, the search began. Every day I would search the internet for any mention of AB120. I started buying brochures on Internationals, trying to learn the specs and details of the models. Logging on to this site to find any clues to where I could find a matching truck. By this time my wife thought I was mad. But I did not feel alone as my wife thinks you guys are all mad as well :)

My dad also had some helpfull tips. He mentioned that at some stage they had an upgrade with a heavier duty truck. He claimed that the new truck had a higher number. I showed him the brochure, and that the AB only came as a 120 or 160 in 4wd. He was positive that it was not an AB160, but something like AB130. I checked on this site, and nobody had heard of this mystery version. I basically told him he was mistaken, that his memory had failed him. He sent me some photos of the truck that showed the badging, but they were not clear enough to be sure, so the debate continued.

So the search continued with no luck. By mid 2010 I decided that I would never find an AB120 and that I would by some type of AB and build myself an AB120 from bits and pieces. I just thought a should get started. So I bought and old rusty AB110. Body poor but every bit there and good dash etc.

I niavely thought I could just convert this to an AB120 4X4 as it had the same wheelbase. Much to learn!

More
13 years 1 month ago #47719 by David
The mystery of the AB130 4X4 was solved when I purchased a spare parts manual for the AB series. When I opened the package, somewhat excitedly for a man of mature years, inside the front cover the list of models including the AB130 4X4. So dad was correct. An upgraded version of the AB120, it seems to have heavier springs, axles, clutch etc. This also matches dad story that they where often breaking these items in the bush. The upgrade seemed to fix some of these issues. It was strange this model was never listed with the other AB models. Althought called an AB130 it had the same 126 in wheelbase of the AB120 4X4, not the slightly longer version of the 2wd AB130. The chassis does grow in length for the C Series 4X4. After a few drinks one night I bid on a 2wd C1200 that I thought might help my quest. It had a good factory tub and the bigger axles. Of course as soon as changed my mind, I won the bid, and now I had 2 Inters to deal with, none of which really matched what I wanted. But as I was now explaining to a bigger and bigger group of concerned family, friends and nieghbours, you have to slay a few dragons to reach the princess :)

More
13 years 1 month ago #47720 by David
In November 2010 the family heads of for a trip to the Flinders Ranges. That means I am off line and the only Inter searching is by looking in paddocks as I drive past. Two weeks off line was very good for me, so my wife explained. Upon returning home, I search my usual haunts to find an AB120 4X4 had come up for auction. 5 years of searching and I am away for 2 weeks and I missed the sale. I rang the guy selling the truck to find out it had not sold at auction, but he had accepted an offer post auction. I was really pissed off about this.

But, after refusing to look for a couple weeks, well really hours, out of the blue is a small advert for a farm clearing sale in Albury. It lists an AB120 4X4. Starting at 8.30 am in Albury on a Sunday, despite my mood about missing the other AB, I mused that I might drive up for a look. But being in Gippsland, it was going to be an early start. When I got home on Friday night after a long week I noticed that the auction was Saturday morning, not Sunday. Great. I was too tired to think about the early start the next day so I told my wife I was not going to bother.

Despite the risk of another Inter arriving she told me I should go or at least put a phone bid in. No, I decided it was all to hard, and being 8 pm to late. But she pushed me to ring and find out about a phone bid. As a compromise I sent a SMS to the mobile number in the advert asking about phone bids. To my suprise and my wifes knowing look, the gentleman rang straight back even though the late hour. He explained that I could not bid over the phone live, but I could put in a single bid if I wished. So I put in $1200. My wife said put in $5000. I must have worn her out after 5 years. But no, I said the truck could be a wreak, the wrong spec, the wrong model, so I stuck to my money. I thought the worst case I pick up some 4wd bits for my other trucks or best case I get a good cab etc.

Well I won it for $900, sight unseen....

More
13 years 1 month ago #47721 by David
That's not it by the way :o

More
13 years 1 month ago #47722 by David
I have this 3rd Inter trucked home while I am at work. I am really excited to see what I have won. Well it is an AB120 4X4, check, it has a good cab, not much rust. But the really exciting bit is that I think it is a National Mapping truck. By comparing the photos to this truck, the unique mods that National Mapping did to their vehicles appear on this truck.

Fly screen studs around the window:

Original

My truck

Long range fuel tank and dual water tanks. See taps on side of tub and second fuel filler:

Tanks gone, but holes and brackets remain:

Roof mounted brush bars run from roof to bullbars:

Holes for bracket on my truck:

Also has spare wheel mounting cutout in ute body lhr and other items. Dad seems sure it is a Nat Map truck.

So there it is, now to fix it up.

Cheers

More
13 years 1 month ago #47723 by David

Still look on the internet everyday, need extra bits now!!

Time to create page: 0.458 seconds