Skip to main content

Why we drive what we drive...

More
12 years 10 months ago #55950 by farmer brown
After stir'n up the inter drivers I thought I better put in why I drive KW. Back in the mid 90s we had a pretty big harvest comin up. At the time we had a 1418 with a single axel tipper. About 14 ton pay load witch is not enough when its sitten in a cue for 2 hours. We went lookin to buy a tandem axel tipper but had left our run to late, every one else had the same idea and all the good ones were gorne. A bloke at Donnald had the 76 K125 for sale with a tipper on it but he wouldnt split it. so we decided to take a punt on the truck as well. That is how I came to own a KW. Since then I have found the KW to be the most simple agricultral truck U can get, bee'n a cocky that suits me just fine. We had a reel good run out of that truck so weve replaced it with a K100G. Ya get ta know wot ya know. I would have liked a bonneted truck but there about 30 k deerer for one in the same nick. The old benz is still erning her keep to I converted the single axel tipper to do our seed and super at sowing and she still picks up a bit of the slack at harvest. Finaly as a farmer I should be the last bloke to can inters, they carried us cockys through the 70s and like alot of blokes Ive got one in the back of the shed with the engine claped out and the springs bent back the front after askin way more of it than it was ever designed for. and it never let us down either.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #55951 by Coupeute
I have chosen MAN. Front diff is a must. Better tare than a Benz Axor. They are stonger than the Suzi/Hino's. The TGM has a semi-auto ZF box. No going for a clutch to change gear if the terrian gets a bit on the difficult side.

AL110 inter ute &&FC Holden Wagon&&HJ Holden 1 Tonner&&

More
12 years 10 months ago #55952 by werkhorse
Why we drive what we drive...

...Well for me it's a case of 'he who pays the wage buys what he wants' luckily he's a KW fan

Wasn't always though. He was a die hard Ford Louieville fan for years after driving Volvos, He's owned G88's, S-lines, T-lines, LNT9000s, LTS9000s, M.A.Ns, Sterling,Leyland,R model,SAR, K104s, Road Commander......and the list goes on

he bought the old SAR back in 1990 and reckons that it was/is the only truck that has made him solid money.....yeah it's cost a bit over the years too but at 25+ years old and done somewhere between 3.5 - 4 million it was the truck that has made him a repeat buyer of KWs. All our KWs, 3 in total, are as solid as the day they were built.... even the SAR....can't say as much for my Sterling though...great driveline but the cab........gawd .....all plastic and after just clocking the million the whole cab is shaking to bits.

My choice if I were to become an owner is KW, having driven many old and new I like their solid build.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

• Topic Author
12 years 10 months ago #55953 by
Replied by on topic Re: Why we drive what we drive...

I have chosen MAN.

Coupeute, you are a trucker with Taste :)

The Germans invented the Internal Combustion Engine and make some of the best engines in the world.

My personal view is that the best make of truck is MAN !!

Perfection.

Cheers
RS :)

• Topic Author
12 years 10 months ago #55954 by
Replied by on topic Re: Why we drive what we drive...
M.A,N = Many Alterations Needed ;D ;D ;D

More
12 years 10 months ago #55955 by kenny-mopar
ive wondered why MAN hasnt done overly well down under ...

More
12 years 10 months ago #55956 by RocksnRoses
We own and operate a couple of those much maligned here, "V" trucks (girl's trucks) and when the time comes to upgrade, it will probably be another Volvo. Why, they are quiet, comfortable, but the main reason I bought them, was because Volvos are fitted with 56,000lb cross lock diffs and the gearboxes are bullet proof. We do a lot of off road work, carting rocks out of paddocks in soft conditions as well a delivering crushed products. Apart from normal wear and tear we have had a good run out of them. We have no trouble getting parts for them and the service from South Central trucks in Adelaide has been excellent.

RnR.

More
12 years 10 months ago #55957 by sar77
I havent driven many MAN's down the road but I shaw have carted a lot here is a small sample, In one picture there lined up to get on the back

More
12 years 10 months ago #55958 by Coupeute
Your right there RnR. Volvo suspension/diffs are a good thing. They used to handle the rough dairy tracks around here for McColls. Then some bright bean counter did his sums & they now have DAF. Highway suspension, so the tanks are taking the stress instead of the truck.

My first spreader was a bonneted MAN. 5 cyl. I also put 15000 paddock hours on a non turbo V6 Benz without laying a spanner on it.

At the end of the day its horses for courses & what is diong the job for you. Interesting thread Chocs.

AL110 inter ute &&FC Holden Wagon&&HJ Holden 1 Tonner&&

More
12 years 10 months ago #55959 by kenny-mopar
i run jap stuff .. reason being in the 15 ton GVM class not much comes close ..i did try a couple of older benz's "V" series but they were thirsty.slow and had a horrible gearchange with the ZF gearbox .. current truck a mitsubishi fm557 good on fuel and 215hp with a 10 speed mitsubishi splitter box .. like driving a car

Time to create page: 0.542 seconds