Skip to main content

some old N.T pic's

More
12 years 10 months ago #58390 by v8cars
Replied by v8cars on topic Re: some old N.T pic's

I believe we ended up deciding that it was a Crusader with a H/D cab transplanted on top.

Anyone notice anything different about the Shell Superliner ???

Kind of looks like R model headlights :-? i dont know i could be wrong :-/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #58391 by rickt908
Replied by rickt908 on topic Re: some old N.T pic's
the series 1 superliner had round headlights and the old style sunvisor iam pretty sure.

More
12 years 10 months ago #58392 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: some old N.T pic's
Rick If ya look at the l;ast pic that is a series 1 superdawg

V8 exactly what I thought doesn't really look all that out of place either

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #58393 by greenie
Replied by greenie on topic Re: some old N.T pic's
Hi Werkhorse, Ricks correct, go do a google for 1978 Mack Superliner in "images". You'll find that the first series, DID have round headlights, they changed them to the square ones later on.

The Shell Superliner looks like the chrome surrounds have been painted yellow, that gives it the illusion of having the larger round headlights. Where-as the last pic of the green bonnet Mack, with the round headlights, it has the surrounds chromed.

This one was one of the first of the production line, it's got the round ones.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
12 years 10 months ago #58394 by werkhorse
I agree that the series 1 superliners had round head lights with a square surround and the then series 2 had square headlights but if you have a close look at the following pics you can see that the Shell one had R model head lights grafted on. Didn't the Superliners come out in 1980???

Series 1 with the round head lights

Series 2 with the squares

now please compare the shell one with an R model

The picture above has been stolen from this thread and reused here for educational purposes Is that ok Adam/Chocs ??? :-? ;D 8-)

R model

And for something totally related, 7' rounds without a surround, thanks to David Hecker

Note: I'm not trying to be a smart ass Greenie, Just trying to get the facts right. In no way do I profess to know it all I just want to learn it all......If I can 8-) 8-)

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
12 years 10 months ago #58395 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: some old N.T pic's
Good werk Werk!!
Like that!!!
When you do finally know everything...
You can tell me...then i might be as clever as ADam??? :-/ :-/

Yep they do look like r model gadgets on the shell unit....
I was going to start a thread on some Macks...standby...

chocs 8-)

More
12 years 10 months ago #58396 by werkhorse
Is there ever any hope of getting as good as the Adman??? :-? :-/ :-/ :D :D ;D 8-)

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #58397 by cemeNTepede
Replied by cemeNTepede on topic Re: some old N.T pic's
Werk, 1980 is about right.The very first ones only had 320 Coolpowers in them or
3408 V8 Cats.Because the EM9 wasn't quite ready.
Noel Buntine got a single drive 320 to pull "the horse float".It was geared for about 70mph.
The float,incidentally,was a single axle Haulmark.Probably the only one they built.
Chook Gilbert,Adelaide, got a bogie drive 320.Gilbert's one is still around in SA somewhere.
Been repowered but still only on it's second or third owner.Guy called Jason Barrett .

Other trivia..........
Shell Superliners (and any built for their distributors) have chassis rails 1inch deeper than standard.
All SLs have double rails.
Those headlights were possibly some trial by Shell/Mack.

(Shell did all sorts of trials for Mack and other manufacturers.Had one of the three trial 500hp Benzes (not very happy.I think the thing caught fire and burned to the ground in the end and there wasn't a tear shed).Also had a pre-production 610 Volvo.Kept changing the radiators amoung other things to try different scenarios.Kept raising the diff ratios trying to "kill it off".Got so high geared at one stage the drivers said it couldn't pull top gear.But it wouldn't die!)

Shell in Darwin had a 440hp V8 Mack rated for triples around '84.Tanami tried to buy one and Macks said they weren't going to put them on roadtrains.....semis only.Wrong torque curve apparently.
Tanami never got one,but some did get onto R/t.
Neutral Junction Station (Alice Springs) had one pulling 6 decks and I can confirm that it gave our (Tanami) 500s a run for their money pulling the same weight.

The multi coloured wrecker was a show truck around '83.Used to have a bunk originally.
D&W (David and Warriner,Newcastle Waters,NT) bought it and it went to work pulling six decks with local legend, Bruce "Pissy" Pepperill at the helm.Called "The Rainbow Warrior"
Fell over on its side when about 12 months old.Pissy was out "counting the wheels"
on the Barkly Hwy near Avon Police Station when the shoulder collapsed and down she went.Don't think Pissy ever lived that one down !

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by cemeNTepede.

More
12 years 10 months ago #58398 by cemeNTepede
Replied by cemeNTepede on topic Re: some old N.T pic's

The Buntine single drive.Fleet no 17.
Only single drive S/L I've seen.Always ran in this colour.Never had any signwriting.
Converted to bogie drive when the truck was about four years old.

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)

More
12 years 9 months ago #58399 by Daninmky
Replied by Daninmky on topic Re: some old N.T pic's
Hi all
Mine is a 1980 model and from what I have been able to gather is in 81 the head lights were changed and the sunvisor as well as a cab rise. I have poured over dozens of Superliner pics 1 & 2 but I have not been able to confirm that it was just the 1 year that this happened so if anyone can correct me that would be great. Its hard to get year info from pictures but I have not seen a picture yet where it says 79 or 81 for the round lights.
Mine has the 350hp fitted to it and I was informed by a member of this forum that there were 3 built for Wollongong Ceramic but I have not confirmed this.

Daninmky

2 Blondes Walked into a Building.......neither of them seen it.....BOOM  BOOM!!!&&A blo

Time to create page: 0.489 seconds