Skip to main content

Trilex Rims

More
12 years 6 months ago #65283 by Tired Iron
Trilex Rims was created by Tired Iron
Gents
Am I correct in saying Trilex rims were banned. If so, due to being unsafe?
But why? Did they fail in service?
I used to work for Bandags in my youth and belted quite a few onto Volvos-can't remember if any other manufacturers used them.
As far as I can remember, certainly none of the guys I worked with in my time anyway were injured by them while fitting them up with tyres.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #65284 by greenie
Replied by greenie on topic Re: Trilex Rims
None to sure if they were banned or not, the only thing I can remember about them, is that they required a tube to be fitted.

Somehow the tubeless tyre, was a much better proposition than a tyre with a tube, so that idea just kind of went the way of the dinosaurs.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
12 years 6 months ago #65285 by oldbugger
Replied by oldbugger on topic Re: Trilex Rims
Trilex rims were fitted to a MAN I drove way back, if you did'nt have the cranked lever to split the rim it was a real job to fix a puncture, I remember one evening at Andy Mcleans garage, Gilgandra, (anyone remember the place) on the forecourt (the only concrete was around the pumps), front n/s wheel flat, it took two of us to split the rim without the proper lever, using tyre levers and to put it back together a sledge hammer was used to persuede the rims together.

More
12 years 6 months ago #65286 by Tired Iron
Replied by Tired Iron on topic Re: Trilex Rims
Greenie
That makes sense!
Only Greyhound, Ansett coaches, a few flash overnighters and maybe a few others were using tubeless then.
Oldbugger-I heard a few stories of breaking the bead by driving over the (removed) tyre-then the rim could be easily removed. The "special" tyre levers weren't all that special really though, but you were almost buggered without them.
Wouldn't think that would help tyre life though-and could you trust old mate driving over your tyre if you couldn't do it yourself?

More
12 years 6 months ago #65287 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Trilex Rims
They were fitted to imported european trucks and were never banned. When manufacturers, such as volvo, started Australian assembly they used the American spider rims to match those in use on trailers. The hubs are a different size so they can't be swapped over. I am told that with the right tool dismounting the tyre was a breeze, and a nice scalie tale recounted to me recently was back a while when RTA got staff from behind the counter onto the roadside for a blitz. He got a notice for 10 cracked rims! He was all for giving a demonstration of dismounting the tyre in front of the inspector but it was quicker to run down to the inspection station who lifted the notice (after they had finished laughing) without looking at the wheels.

More
12 years 6 months ago #65288 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Re: Trilex Rims

I remember one evening at Andy Mcleans garage, Gilgandra, (anyone remember the place)

Yes, Andy's at Gilgandra was the cheapest fuel anywhere, back in the day.
Think he had his own tanker and brought fuel out from the Sydney depot ?????

More
12 years 6 months ago #65289 by HEOFTHEHUM
Replied by HEOFTHEHUM on topic Re: Trilex Rims
I had Trilex rims on a Man and Volvo G88,never had a problem,but,was told to get a set of "TRILEX TOOLS" or theyd drive you nuts.
I did and they were easyas.

More
12 years 6 months ago #65290 by truckin-des
Replied by truckin-des on topic Re: Trilex Rims
I was out the back off Tailem Bend with a MAN a fair time ago ,the spare was flat and not too happy with
another.Tired and late for Adelaide figured the little tyre shop just up the street was the go . Get these tyres fixed, have "10" over the wheel and we'll be good.
Ol'mate got excited and with the wheels laying on the ground, discovers he has never seen Trilex rims before !
Muggins shows how with the ubeaut tools and now we're good to go!!
Just another day..

Keep on truckin-des

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #65291 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
I hear Trilex Rims were alright as long as you made sure they were fitted sugly together before you inflated. I am told of stories of the locking rims of tubed 10.00 x 20 rims lauching off into the scrub sometimes if something was not done well, but the Trilex was a complete rim cut into 3 curved bits. Once on and pumped up it didn't have any small bits to launch. Photo of the 3 piece rims on front when I got it showing how they put the joins on every second spider arm for support.

As mentioned, they cannot go on normal spiders.
I have trilex 3 piece rims but not the right tools but I also have got now 6 tubeless rims for trilex rims. they are made by Michellin and cost a fortune when new.

I have trilex on my 1968 MAN 650F. 6cyl D0836 engine, 12 speed overdrive 'pogostick' gearbox. Damn expensive and hard to get parts but it's too rare to not do up.
It was an interstate truck they burned the hub reduction diff out of so I bought 2 Trilex diffs in what they call a "Lightweight bogie", but it weighs close to 2 tonne I think with the chassis rails. I am only going to use the rear axle with the front as a spare donor. The diff ratio is 2.8 as yes it is hard to believe. Would have been designed for Autobahns. not practical to put the bogie on the single axle truck as it's 19cm chassis rails re too light and the 26cm railed bogie bracing won't fit in them without weakening the bracing. Note MAN cannister spring brakes.

Anyone see any of these 'chubby cheeks' MANs for parts i neeed the passener seat & frame, the engine cover on Right hand side, and door latch mechanism for the right hand driver's door, and front windscreen, smaller width Trilex spacers for the duals. Need about 75mm I estimate.
I checked with MAN Australia and due to a dumping of old records years ago, the only record they have for this chassis is the Australian company who made the seats.

Kind Regards
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman.

More
12 years 6 months ago #65292 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Trilex Rims
The diff might be 2.8 reduction, but then there will be further reduction in the hubs, typically .5 which would bring overall ratio down to 5.6/1.

Time to create page: 0.438 seconds