Skip to main content

perkins has a mind of its own

More
12 years 5 months ago #67415 by paul404
Not sure how it's set up, but it could be sucking oil from the timing case into the injector pump through the seal in the front of the pump.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #67416 by Kav
Hi all - What about the valve in the cold start/excess fuel container. I have had one of those to leak and pour fuel into the inlet manifold, which could account for the over- revving. A faulty key switch could also dump fuel into the manifold while you are going along. Best regards - Michael

More
12 years 5 months ago #67417 by Malfunction
My 5 cents worth, because 2 cents ain't used no more. Check the oil level on the stick, if its higher than it should be and nobodies put more oil in, smell the oil on the stick, it may have diesel leaked through to the sump, via the lift pump or like. (accounting for the running away)
Then the motor runs on almost the smell of an oily rag.

More
12 years 5 months ago #67418 by Mike Moore
thanks for the input guys. ill check everything mentioned and hope its nothing terribly major. dont want it playing up on the way to sandown :-[

1971 International ACCO &&1971 International 564 &&196? Nuffield BMC mini &&

More
12 years 5 months ago #67419 by Sarge
Mike, another 2 cents worth, and maybe thats all it will cost... The gunk in fuel filter you will have under control, the governor control my be as simple as the throtle return spring and or linkages.

The little arm on the side of the injector pump is grub screwed or clamped onto the shaft and you can change its angle if you want to... or it may have changed its self????

I rebuilt all those very basic shaft and pivot linkages from the pedal to the pump because its too sloppy and inclined to stick, then put a very long but soft spring onto the pump shaft to make sure she came back to idle easily.... much improved.... :)

and then I went and spent my lifes savings and naming rights on three childen to get the pump overhauled (for a different reason). :-/

good luck, see you at Sandown

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
12 years 5 months ago #67420 by Beaver
We had a similar problem in an AEC diesel a few years ago. Turned out the fuel in the pump waxed up and prevented the rack from moving freely.

Cleaned that out and has run perfectly ever since.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 5 months ago #67421 by Swishy

OK then
Wot damage is caused by the throttle linkage out of adjustment where by a size 9 held firmly on the go pedal, where the force is transfered to the innings of the said fuel pump
normally there is a safe way to get max on the throttle lever without gr8 force from the linkage

Ifn U get my drift
Cya
[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds