Skip to main content

Hot Rods....are they?

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 4 months ago #72191 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Hot Rods....are they?

Ewe'd call this a hot rod

But eye'd call it

'Get n her dun'

LOL

A low profile jinka to carry the RSend of long loads th@ enable the load
to turn above the drivers cab when cornering

Cya
[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #72192 by
Replied by on topic Re: Hot Rods....are they?
You would know about it if you had a blowout on the drive

[ch729][ch647]sod [ch654][ch623] s[ch305] [ch477]u[ch305][ch1503] s[ch305][ch613][ch647] [ch653]o[ch

More
12 years 4 months ago #72193 by jagwill
Replied by jagwill on topic Re: Hot Rods....are they?
I was reading an English magazine where a reader had written to complain that a restored truck was painted in a livery that it never carried in its working life. He was most upset and thought that all restored trucks should only be painted in an authentic livery for the vehicle. He then went on to compliment historic bus owners and say that they only ever painted their buses in proper company liveries and didn't make up bus companies and colour schemes!

I think that this bloke needs to get a life. Many old trucks are bought by companies for advertising and publicity and carry that company's livery whether the truck was originally used by them or not. Without this many of these trucks would still be sitting in a scrapyard rotting.

I like to see a truck in a period livery but don't see why an owner can't paint it any colour they like. in my case, I don't know the previous history of my truck. It came in white and has stayed in white.

If you want to see some massively modified truck and paintwork that defies logic see the site www.travellerhomes.co.uk/ . This contains pictures of many vehicles modified to provide mobile homes to European travellers. Well worth a look.

John

1981 ACCO 630A and trucking videos
www.truckflix.com.au

More
12 years 4 months ago #72194 by Fuller-Vit

Ewe'd call this a hot rod

But eye'd call it

'Get n her dun'

A company I worked for back in NZ in the early 80s had a similar jigga based on a ts3 Commer. We called it the moon buggy . I never had the pleasure of pioting the moon buggy thankk Gawd as I was too tall to fit in it . Certainly was a great asset for moving bridge beams and the like. Hardly a hotrod tho ;)
LOL

A low profile jinka to carry the RSend of long loads th@ enable the load
to turn above the drivers cab when cornering

Cya
[ch9786]

In the beginning God created Seddon and ERF

• Topic Author
12 years 4 months ago #72195 by
So no more posting CSM trucks with bling on them, then It can be as interesting as the Antique truck forum site.
They get about 2 posts a month!

I like the Western StarCar, Swishy, particularly the bog stock badge.
Geoff

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #72196 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: Hot Rods....are they?
Geoff and Jagwill,

I don't think anyone here has seriously said anything against dressed up "bling" trucks with triple horns, flame paint jobs, polished wheels, velour seats, varnished wood decks on trays etc on someone's Kenworth in fact, roll on chrome and paint.

What is unacceptable to most people who are not in it just for their own self-gratification is to see a fully operational barn find 1938 Diamond T have its cab removed and roof-line lowered, running mechanics and chassis dumped, and fitted to a lowered 1995 F350 chassis. They will still strongly claim it is a 1938 Diamond T.
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by Lang.

• Topic Author
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #72197 by
on that note lang ...it's not exactly what's been done to the truck...it's basically because of the length of time it has existed, surviving relatively unscathed for years and years, only to find itself subject to the most brutal treatment when it could have proceeded into a most genteel stage of its life

in other words, if the '38 diamond was modded in, say 1948...no drama, can't be helped. but it's when that same 38 diamond gets modded in 2012 it can be fairly enough frowned upon.

as a young country we have been taught to improvise and we are always being told about the good old days etc etc. and i reckon it's almost part of our genetic make-up to modify things...for whatever reason.

the new breed can see the value in that hundred dollar truck sitting out there in the paddock (or occasionally the barn) to make into there own masterpiece but i truly believe we, as a young battling country, who hasn't got that sense of history, can't really either afford, or be bothered with a full blown restoration ...to be admired by a diminishing few....and no offence meant

my take is originality at all costs...that's just me, but our melting pot of society says....suit yourself

More
12 years 4 months ago #72198 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: Hot Rods....are they?
Detective,

That is what I said at the start of the thread. When hotrods started in the fifties there were millions around but we should now be hotrodding 90's Holdens and Falcons until they become scarce then preserve the remaining few and progressively move on to later models thereby preserving our history.

I really like the philosophy at the bottom of Geoff Rockwiz' posts you either follow it or ignore it, you can't have two bob each way. I think it should apply within reason to everything of genuine historic significance not just old buildings.

I think I have said enough and, to the relief of many, will withdraw.

Lang

More
12 years 4 months ago #72199 by Davefarma
Replied by Davefarma on topic Re: Hot Rods....are they?
I think the hotrod verses original debate will go on like many others, which oil and recently which paint. People wil have their own likes and dislikes. Currently i'm doing a resto on a modle K and im trying to get it as close to original as possable, although in saying than I'm painting the motor a few differant colours instead of all black, just to add a personal touch. But I'm seriously thinking about when i do my second truck to go down what some would call the hotrod path. For me this will involve lowering, softer suspention, probably a differant motor and drive line and a few mod cons such as power stearing and aircon. But does this mean Im not restoring an old rusted out truck that no longer runs??

In the states recently i took some pics and talked to a few blokes over there that have what they call "run around trucks" These are old truck mostly cheves and they get professionals to basacly turn the old truck into a modern verhcle. from the outside they look old, but inside and underneath they are as modern as most latest cars.
I dont dissagree with what anyone has posted in this thread as its their opinion and who am i to say other wise, Its your money, its your hobby and if thats what makes you happy then thats all that matters.

Time to create page: 0.490 seconds