Skip to main content

More
15 years 1 month ago #8021 by wouldyou
New member was created by wouldyou
Hello all, I am new to the internet and am finding your forum very interesting. I still live on our farm in WA and have a few old tractors restored as well as a 1955 Guy Otter truck and have just about done a 1927 Chev four truck. I have driven Bedfords and Austins and the Guy and find that with even a small load they sense a hill coming and lose speed while you are trying to get a run up on the flat.It must be a British trait!Cheers David

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #8022 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: New member
welcome to the forum . . . i agree with the pommy trucks knowing where the hills are (even if they are invisable to the naked eye ! )

More
15 years 1 month ago #8023 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Re: New member
Welcome David,
It wasn't just hills that were the problem, the old Bedfords that I drove would get a sniff of a head wind and die. Driving down to Colac in western Vicotria you get head winds all the way, and even empty I would be standing on the accelerator trying to encourage the Beddie I was driving to hold top gear on the flat.

Dennis

More
15 years 1 month ago #8024 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: New member
Welcome to the forum David,

On our farm at South Tammin bedfords used to make real good trailers. :D once you gave em abit of a prune with the oxy.
Is your guy the one that ive seen at Dowerin field day ?...runs real good.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

15 years 1 month ago #8025 by
Replied by on topic Re: New member
Hi David welcome hope you get as much fun and info as rest of us do.

On your other comment you will notice all the above have only driven one Bedford and it looks like only for a short time. Myself i think they are lovely trucks and have had quite few they tend to repond to people who love them and give you every thing they have . Dave ;D ;D

More
15 years 1 month ago #8026 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: New member
Welcome aboard, David. I have to admit that I don't even mention the word hill when driving my 49 ML Bedford as she's not too keen on them. That said, she gets over them all.

To each his own but if it's an old truck, I'm interested.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
15 years 1 month ago #8027 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: New member
Thanks for the welcome to the forum. Yes that was the Guy at Dowerin, I am in Albany visiting a group starting restoration of another one. They advertised for a cab similar to mine, I have an earlier type with timber frame so to keep it authentic they may also use the chassis and install the engine from their one.
On GM engines Tutt Bryants had a 4/51 at the Perth Show with a kit for a Chev truck, this was fitted in a Diamond T 520 but was a bit underpowered. It also sooted up the exhaust ports, one suggestion was America had a lighter grade of diesel and to try a power kero mixture. About this time we needed a trailer for a super spreader and must admit to cutting the cab off. The engine is now in a J5 Bedford tipper but seldom used. The front part has been restored and is backed against a shed appearing to be coming out at a private car museum near Perth Cheers David

More
15 years 1 month ago #8028 by GM Diesel
David,

The front half of the DT 520 is at Les Woodruffs place in Bedfordale. As you say restored up against the wall.
You say GM 4-51, did you mean 4-53 ?...4-51 is a very rare engine and some GM collectors would murder to get there hands on it :)
Whatever it is dont put power kero in it. Less than 10 minutes and it 'll be had it.

Basil

More
15 years 1 month ago #8029 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: New member
Hello Basil, Yes 4/51 no valves.
David

More
15 years 1 month ago #8030 by GM Diesel
David,

Wow didnt think there were any of them around. Ive never seen one in the flesh so Id enjoy a look one day if thats okay.

Basil

Time to create page: 0.566 seconds