Skip to main content

detroit..screaming meanie (na not my missus)

More
14 years 11 months ago #8974 by kennymopar2
over the years ive heard differing stories as to the fuel consumption of the GM 2 strokes ..some say they are thirsty some say they are economical . . for example if i get another"collector" truck id probably go for something with a 6V53 ..how would you rate the fuel consumption of them ..also do they last as long as a "normal" diesel ..say 600.000ks without a rebuild
cheers ken

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #8975 by GM Diesel
Hey Ken it all depends on how you drive them.
A 6V53 if you drive it like you stole it and hot rod around you can get them down to 2.5 kms/liter. Drive with steady as you go throttle control and keep the revs up you can get good mileage.
The old 190 averaged 4.1kms/liter over the 8000km trip to Melbourne and back. Worked its ring out going over and went easy coming home.
Only thing wrong with a Detroit in a recreational truck is puddling around on club runs with no load.
After about an hour buggerising around at 40mph mine starts dribbling out of the exhaust manifolds and honking blue smoke out the stack.
Use good quality low ash <0.5%, straight 40 weight oil in them, keep them in tune. Clean fuel and air and they will last well. If you dont look after them properly they will go down hill real quick.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
14 years 11 months ago #8976 by kennymopar2
cool around 4kms per litre/ 25ltrs - 100kms i can live with ..the crappy UD at the moment averages around 25-30litres - 100kms.. with no torque! ..as only a few years ago i was still running a AT4 dodge interstate (318 powered) ..im considering a Detroit powered dodge for around town & the odd interstate trip unfortunally ive never had much to do with detroits & i dont know what to look for ..

ps thanks for the perkins workshop manual :)

More
14 years 11 months ago #8977 by GM Diesel
Ken,

Good the manual got there.
I did around 500k's bobtail with the 190 last weekend and got closer to 5k's to the liter sitting on around 95kmh @2100rpm.
Seems to be its sweet spot around this speed.
The hardest thing these days is finding a 6V53 in good nick thats been looked after. Most ive come across are cheap or free coz there's something wrong with them.
Alldiesels in QLD normally have some decent ones in stock.

Basil

More
14 years 11 months ago #8978 by kennymopar2
what do i need to look for when im looking at a 6V53 ?

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 11 months ago #8979 by Swishy

KeMoPa
gudday M8

RE: what do i need to look for when im looking at a 6V53
In a word
its life history
LOL
just like anything in life
:o
If U spend too much for the beast n is realiable n dont cost U anything = cheap beast
if U get a cheapy n is unreliable n costs lots to keep it running = expensive beast
:'(
ButEyeDoSt&2BCorrected
:D
screeemers have the added adavantage of haveing oil also on the outside
they mark out there own territory by returnin oil from where she cum from, good ol mother Earth

Screeemers do love revs
so U drive m az tho its stolen
pedal to the metal

LOL

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #8980 by huppypuppy

Hey Ken it all depends on how you drive them.
A 6V53 if you drive it like you stole it and hot rod around you can get them down to 2.5 kms/liter. Drive with steady as you go throttle control and keep the revs up you can get good mileage.
The old 190 averaged 4.1kms/liter over the 8000km trip to Melbourne and back. Worked its ring out going over and went easy coming home.
Only thing wrong with a Detroit in a recreational truck is puddling around on club runs with no load.
After about an hour buggerising around at 40mph mine starts dribbling out of the exhaust manifolds and honking blue smoke out the stack.
Use good quality low ash <0.5%, straight 40 weight oil in them, keep them in tune. Clean fuel and air and they will last well. If you dont look after them properly they will go down hill real quick.

Basil

Hi all
The best oil, if ya can get ya mitts on it, is BP Vanellus DD40/DD50 - info here:

Vanellus DD40 and DD50
Low sulphated ash diesel engine oils formulated to meet the special requirements of the Detroit Diesel Corporation
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by huppypuppy.

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #8981 by kennymopar2
quote Vanellus DD50 has been specifically formulated for use in Detroit Diesel 149 engines above ambient temperatures of 35
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by kennymopar2.

More
14 years 11 months ago #8982 by huppypuppy

Vanellus DD50 has been specifically formulated for use in Detroit Diesel 149 engines above ambient temperatures of 35

More
14 years 11 months ago #8983 by GM Diesel
My best advice is follow the book / manuals on oil recomendations.
Manual - 7SE270 can be found at the link here : www.detroitdiesel.com/support/on-highway...ants_fuels_coolants/

What ever you do dont run DD-50 in a 53 series detroit...it'll bung it up.
What they dont tell you on the BP website Joe is most of the 149's running DD-50 will have jacket pre heating. Doing a cold start on a detroit at temperatures < 10

Time to create page: 0.444 seconds