Skip to main content

International AR-110 Ute

More
7 years 8 months ago #173715 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic International AR-110 Ute
Ooh, a hardtop. Won't take long to find out who owns that one.

Thanks, Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #176079 by grahamjb
Replied by grahamjb on topic International AR-110 Ute
Electric Window Problem

Both of the electric windows I fitted to my ute have failed with the same mechanical problem and this post shows how I repaired them.

What happened with both windows is that the claw holding the drive cable to the window plate fatigues and you get stuck with a window that can't go up or down. The claw is not repairable so I used some 8mm steel fuel line for the repair as per the photos below.

This photo shows the cable detached from the crappy claw that falls apart after some use
[IMG

Another view of the broken claw
[IMG

A small length of 8mm steel fuel tubing fits nicely inside the tube that the driven cable runs in
[IMG

Clean up the driven cable ready to be silver soldered inside the 8mm tube
[IMG

Get a couple of steel 4mm screws and nuts and taper the end so that they can be pressed into the 8mm tube
[IMG

Drill two 4mm holes in the 8mm tube and hammer the driven cable inside
[IMG

In the photo above you can see the spiral winding of the driven cable which will stop the 4mm screws going inside the tube. Use a centre punch and push the spiral to one side making room for the screws
[IMG

Hold the screws in position inside the 8mm tube in the vice and silver solder them in position as well as silver soldering the driven cable to the 8mm tube
[IMG

Dress the side of the nuts so that the 8mm tube slides smoothly inside the driven cable tube
[IMG

Remove the two spot welded plates where the claw used to be and drill two holes with the same spacing of your 4mm screws and screw the driven cable to the window plate
[IMG
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tacho

More
7 years 5 months ago #176080 by grahamjb
Put it all back together and you now have a stronger fitting than the original
[IMG
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tacho

More
7 years 5 months ago #176081 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic International AR-110 Ute
Beautiful. Your ingenuity never ceases to amaze. Were these from the Dunnydore, or supposed "hot rod" parts?

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 5 months ago #176086 by grahamjb
Jarod
They were marketed as a "premium" quality universal electric window mechanism with a premium price of $430.00. The wiring loom and switches that came with them is low end but the motor and steel part of the mechanism is put together pretty well.

Cheers GB

More
7 years 5 months ago #176088 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic International AR-110 Ute
GB, I think a lot of us would threw our hands in the air and #@$&#@ shit, it good to see a man that just fixed the problem
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
7 years 5 months ago #176109 by grahamjb
One of the good thing about internet forums Colin is that everyone can share their knowledge and solutions to problems and learn from others.
GB

More
7 years 5 months ago #176195 by wombat 46
Replied by wombat 46 on topic International AR-110 Ute
Great work Graham,
most would just buy a new unit and hope it would last longer!
Jim

Time to create page: 0.601 seconds