Skip to main content

Bedford k semi restoration

More
8 years 6 months ago #163530 by AT4114
Replied by AT4114 on topic Bedford k semi restoration
I agree with asw and IH my young son has just recommisioned an old valiant with a hemi 6 it had been sitting for years and at any revs it would blow large amounts of blue smoke now it's got rego and a few hundred kilometers under its belt it's stopped using oil and blowing smoke I'm sure your Bedford will come good cheers Bryant B)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #163534 by Mrsmackpaul
mate I would tend to agree with everyone else take it out and give it a fang around for a hour or so and you might be surprised at how good it will get or at least thats what I would do before pulling it apart

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 6 months ago #163548 by fjwb
Replied by fjwb on topic Bedford k semi restoration
I'm just waiting for my seat to return from trim and then it will be ready for rego. I intend to find some good hills once its done and do my best to avoid a rebuild. We will see how it goes!

More
8 years 6 months ago #163604 by fjwb
I was playing with the truck again today and whilst putting the new oil filter element in, noticed the Union for the Pcv valve was loose. I started thinking about that valve and also wondering why it had been tampered with and if it's actually working properly or even at all. I'm quietly hoping that the valve might be most of the oil burning issues. Will pull it apart tomorrow and have a good look at it.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #163608 by defective
...Hi fjwb .. did these old girls originally have Positive Crankcase Ventilation or just a breather pipe running down beside the block?...
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by defective.

More
8 years 6 months ago #163611 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Bedford k semi restoration
If it is actually a PCV valve, they are closed at high vacuum, IIRC. They're only supposed to open when you've got your foot down. If you already knew this, please disregard and best of luck with it.

Cheers, Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
8 years 6 months ago #163612 by fjwb
Early models had a vent pipe, there was some changes made early 50's that added a Pcv system. I'm all good with how they work but I'm now curious if it's been removed or tampered with due to the loose connection I found. The oil filter element had been removed and left out too.

More
8 years 6 months ago #163614 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic Bedford k semi restoration
fjwb, when I last started my "K" engine up some years ago, mine was smokey to as you described above.
Funnily enough the engine ran so quiet you'd barely know it was running - quieter than my BA Falcon! :lol:
I just assumed it was probably rings & I was in for a tear-down, but now I might just wait & see how you get on with yours. In the meantime I've got chassis tidy up work to do.

I haven't tried the Heavy Duty Lanolin treatment yet on my original body, but reading some reports it's smelly & sticky?

What was the story with those quarter vent rubbers, did you replace them with new?

Look forward to your next instalment.

cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
8 years 6 months ago #163615 by fjwb
Rubbers are original

More
8 years 6 months ago #163617 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic Bedford k semi restoration
If it's puffing smoke after it's been idling a bit, bite the bullet and replace the valve stem oil seals you might not have to remove the head but make sure you put the seals in the groove under the collet or they won't work I had the same problem with Chev engine in my GMC

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

Time to create page: 0.530 seconds