Skip to main content

Bedford k semi restoration

More
8 years 6 months ago #162930 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Bedford k semi restoration
My '51 Stude Champion was restored some 25 - 30 years ago and has one of their looms - still almost as new. Excellent quality.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #163195 by fjwb
Replied by fjwb on topic Bedford k semi restoration
Update pic, waiting for the seat to be retrimmed, need to fit some nicer mirrors and sort out the brake switch. I got a new pressure switch for the brakes but it doesn't seem to work, the circuit is fine just the switch causing the issue.
[IMG

More
8 years 6 months ago #163238 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic Bedford k semi restoration
fjwb, just picking up on one of your earlier posts, is it your plan to keep the cabin, bonnet & side clips in the current grey painted condition?
What are your plans for the chassis & spring packs? are your stripping these down & blasting/painting these items in fresh chassis black?

I'm liking it as it is :)

Great work & an inspiration to keep me going on my K
cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
8 years 6 months ago #163266 by fjwb
She is staying as is, only painted the wheels as they needed some drastic rust repairs. The guards I also had to paint as the degreaser I used to wash it all down stripped them back through two layers of paint to bare metal.
Only further work I will do is retrimmed seat which should be back this week. New window rubbers and hood lining. I'm waiting on a replacement brake switch as the new one I bought was faulty out of the packaging. I will give the cab another degrease, treat the surface rust then clear coat it and preserve as is, I think it's earned the right to display it's life story with pride. I may consider removing some springs to soften the ride if it proves hard to live with.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #163267 by defective
..Hi fjwb .. I'm not sure of the merit in clear coating her original appearance...after all, she's come this far with very little ill effects, but the clear will lock in the ravages of time that are still evolving...

...As I keep hearing, we are but only custodians........
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by defective.

More
8 years 6 months ago #163283 by fjwb
I don't really want its appearance to 'age' any further. Its working life is over and I think it looks great the way it is now, the 'now' is what I want to preserve. Giving it a good clean has also exposed some clean metal and also very thin paint, if I leave it unprotected its going to end up completely covered in surface rust and that rust is going to turn into a problem.

More
8 years 6 months ago #163289 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Bedford k semi restoration
AS you say don't want to deteriorate more maybe a satin flat clear

More
8 years 6 months ago #163306 by fjwb
That's the plan

More
8 years 6 months ago #163309 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Bedford k semi restoration
The cousin that is in to rat rods (Fatty the rat rod) uses lanolin to preserve the appearance.

More
8 years 6 months ago #163310 by fjwb
I'll look into that, thanks for the tip

Time to create page: 0.533 seconds