Skip to main content

Bedford k semi restoration

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #163618 by fjwb
Replied by fjwb on topic Bedford k semi restoration
They don't have valve stem seals. I'm told There is an umbrella type seal that will fit though. valve stem/guide was my first thought but after watching the oil flow with the rocker cover off I'm not sure that is the issue. I'll look into it further if the Pcv isn't the problem.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by fjwb.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #163700 by fjwb
Well an update, my suspicions on the PCV were correct, it had been gutted. I bit the bullet and found some falcon umbrella style valve stem seals at a local head service, got them for free. It has definitely made an improvement but there still is signs of smoke. Should have the seat back by the weekend so then I will take it for a decent drive and see what happens from there.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by fjwb.

More
8 years 5 months ago #163894 by fjwb
I've managed to take it for a bit of a drive and when it's running it's going exceptionally well. I'm really surprised as I was expecting a slug, so performance wise I'm pretty happy with the old girl.
I seem to be encountering an intermittent ignition problem which I have narrowed down to either the dizzy cap or an internal short with the dizzy. The issue is parts are just not available for the Lucas dizzy that it uses. Can get points but everything else like cap etc is impossible to find. I'm now cutting fine to get this ready for the convoy on the weekend. I haven't bitten the bullet and ordered a VH commodore style electronic ignition dizzy and will have some fun on the lathe making one dizzy out of the two.

More
8 years 5 months ago #163905 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Bedford k semi restoration
A couple of things: copper braid between advancer plate and distributor body, points wire shorting where it goes through body (or broken internally) I guess you've tried bodging on another capacitor / condenser. Also button stuck in cap (if it has spring loaded type, can't remember. I have an Inter SD220 dizzy which is probably the same bits. Think I have a new screw - type cap as well (somewhere)

Best of luck and keep us updated, Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
8 years 5 months ago #163911 by fjwb
I'll have the new dizzy in the morning so will spend the day adapting new dizzy to old drive. The HEI should give the old girl some boost too. Will see how it pans out tomorrow.

More
8 years 5 months ago #164051 by fjwb
She is on the road and running strong, discovered a couple of holes in the radiator which I soldered up this morning. The commodore Bosch HEI dizzy is installed and the motor is running better than ever. The difference with the high energy ignition was noticeable from the first start, no missing, smooth as silk idle, super responsive. The dizzy conversion required a little more work than first thought as replacement turns the opposite way to the original which meant the advance mechanism also needed to be reversed, but it's all sorted now and was definitely worth the effort. It would be worth researching a correct rotation dizzy for those wanting a similar conversion. It will save a lot of hassle. Now time to rack up a few miles!!!!
[IMG
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, scratcha

More
8 years 5 months ago #164052 by defective
...She looks fantastic mate...congratulations !!

More
8 years 5 months ago #164053 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Bedford k semi restoration
Well done.

I always enjoy some creative engineering.

I hope you get plenty of smiles out of it.

More
8 years 5 months ago #164055 by Mrsmackpaul
looks great must feel good to have it on the road and be able to drive it around

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 5 months ago #164078 by AT4114
Replied by AT4114 on topic Bedford k semi restoration
Looks awesome fantastic job enjoy ;) ;) cheers Bryant

Time to create page: 0.527 seconds