have a look at ankor wax. preserve and protect. click the link
busnbug.com/sb_clients/busnbug/bin/busnbug_ankor_wax.cfm

Cheers Jason

she'll be Jake.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #163431 by fjwb
Replied by fjwb on topic Bedford k semi restoration
Done a bit of research on Ankor wax, it will do the job but stays wet and is not friendly to clothing etc, so that's out for me.
In the meantime the blinker system has been fitted.
[IMG

More
8 years 6 months ago #163433 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic Bedford k semi restoration
Ha Ha , :) I'm liking it fjwb - even got the finger nails detailed.
Following this with great interest, I've even taken some 1200 wet rub, water & polish to my "K" & I'm impressed how well the old paint (& surface rust) has come up. I'm seriously looking at keeping the old patina look on mine now it certainly has a character of it's own.
Are they new vent window rubbers I see there? If so from where?
Was there a reason why you painted the guards, they look a great contrast.

I've read a bit about Heavy Duty Lanolin, you can buy a 750ml spray bottle from Super Cheap for ~$20, I'm going to trial it on the weekend & see how it goes.
Let you know
cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #163453 by fjwb
Well you can be assured with the natural finish that no one else is driving one the same! Re the guards, They had some rust around the brackets that join to the side steps and one needed some work around the mount for the guard brace, this combined with the fact the degreaser I use stripped them totally back to metal so the decision was made when that happened.

A question for some of those that have been around for a while. The motor is proving to be a bit smokey, Ill be able to use it for a while but its going to need attention. It seems not too bad at idle but gets smokey with an increase in revs. Are valve stems a problem on these motors? I have been told they didn't actually have valve stem seals? I haven't done a compression test as yet but I'm starting to think the rings may be an issue. It has sat for a long time with no use so i will take it for a decent drive before making any decisions, The motor is strong, it pulls hard and has no knocks or rattles. I was told it was rebuilt at some stage, no evidence other than the motor looking new compared to the truck around it. I'm seriously considering the Caterpillar Bon Ami trick if the smoke does not subside, anyone had first hand experience with the bon ami rebuild? I figure there is nothing to lose if the next option is a re ring.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by fjwb.

More
8 years 6 months ago #163456 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Bedford k semi restoration
Ah yes, the good old "Jif hone". I've only seen it done once, on an early Patrol which was glazed up. It worked a treat.

Having said that, Just make sure your fuel pump hasn't let go since your last start - had this once - sump full of petrol.
I would have thought they had the usual GM / Holden-type valve seals in the groove below the valve retainer?

Is it smoking only once it warms up, after a lot of idling? Out the exhaust, or the breather?

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
8 years 6 months ago #163463 by fjwb
Nice fresh oil, so no fuel contamination. Not long after start up, idle isn't too bad but hold the revs up around 2k and she starts giving a good puff from the exhaust.

More
8 years 6 months ago #163465 by Mairjimmy

fjwb wrote: , The motor is strong, it pulls hard .

fjwb its a BEDFORD, the engine is not suppose to be strong and pull hard, lol, hell cobber leave it the way it is you won't get another to do that, :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: ;) ;)

Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #163466 by fjwb
Ha ha, I must say I was quite impressed with its performance in second and third gear, yet to test third at any real speed, although I'm certain top speed will be nothing exceptional. It would idle up a cliff in first. It really does go well which is why I'm a bit annoyed by the smoke problem!
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by fjwb.

More
8 years 6 months ago #163496 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Bedford k semi restoration
I'm thinking at high revs in neutral you'll have a high vacuum situation, so the smoke will be at it's worst.
Maybe not so bad with a bit of a load?

My Inter motor oiled two sets of plugs (mostly idling) while I rebuilt the truck last, but has never fouled one once on the road. A couple of thousand miles and a couple of oil changes might be all it needs.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
8 years 6 months ago #163505 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Bedford k semi restoration
I agree with asw120, don't do anything with it until you've taken it for a long drive at "high" speed. You'll probably see major improvement after a couple of miles.

Dennis

Time to create page: 0.612 seconds