Skip to main content

Tasmanian mystery

More
10 years 11 months ago #116161 by Roderick Smith
This 610 mm gauge railmotor was built at the IXL factory in Hobart (Tas.) to transport workers from the depot to the isolated mine at Lune River (south of Hobart). That line survives today (precariously) as a tourist operation. The railmotor had a Chevrolet straight six engine.
In the 1940s, bits may have been hard to obtain.
I guess that something old was used.
Which bits of this vehicle are homebuilt?
Which bits were cascaded from something, and what was the something?
I don't know the answer, but people here are very good with grille, bonnet and windscreen shapes.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #116162 by hoarder1
Replied by hoarder1 on topic Re: Tasmanian mystery
If it was a Chev straight six (they were introduced in 1929), my guess is the radiator and cowl are from the same source.

Collector and admirer of ye olde crappe.  I'm interested in researching and collecting old numb

More
10 years 11 months ago #116163 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: Tasmanian mystery
The radiator could be chev but the cowl is not one of the early 6 cyl ones, they took a little dip down at the top just under the radiator cap, where the oval badge fitted.

Trust me

More
10 years 11 months ago #116164 by Roderick Smith
Thanks.
I just googled every Chevrolet from 1929 to 1940: not one has a radiator shape which matches.
I then tried 1920, and that was a prospect.
This little dinky railmotor has a bonnet which seems to be too short for a straight six, and why would it need one?
It has crank start, not electric: when was electric start adopted?
I now have to zigzag back to the source of the engine information.
I suspect that the vehicle is preserved: even if not operable, it should still be available for inspection.

Roderick B Smith

10 years 11 months ago #116165 by
Replied by on topic Re: Tasmanian mystery
Roderick,

I seem to remember reference to at LRRSA magazine of it being preserved and operational. Can't remember the details.

Was able to find a picture of it on Flickr. Going by the date it was taken in 2011 so looks like it is still around.
[img

Ida Bay loco 7 by 8888transportpix , on Flickr

More
10 years 11 months ago #116166 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: Tasmanian mystery
Now that is a Chev radiator (with the badge) it's the shorter radiator for the 4 cylinder motor,
1928 was the last 4 cyl, but the first with the bigger radiator and longer bonnet (the motor wasn't ready till 29)

Trust me

More
10 years 11 months ago #116167 by Roderick Smith
Thanks for the progress.
I have gone to railway sources seeking confirmation that railmotor 7 really does have a Chevrolet six: with that radiator, and the length, I suspect a four.

Enclosed are two views of one of the railway's Malcolm Moore locos, and two views of one surviving at Kerrisdale Mountain Railway (Vic.), obtained from a Queensland sugar mill.

The type was build in Melbourne for WWII service, and locos went to various overseas theatres. They were sold at the end of the war, and went to various locations.
The type was built with a Ford V8 engine: the Lune River ones still had them; the KMR one seems to have been reengined.
What clues would have identified the Ford one if the make had been unknown? Was it the only V8 available in the 1930s? Rolls Royce had a V12: probably too expensive.

720104Tu Lune River Tas. Malcolm Moore 2 R Smith
100417Sa KMR Vic. Malcolm Moore 2 R Smith

Roderick B Smith

More
10 years 11 months ago #116168 by indianman
Replied by indianman on topic Re: Tasmanian mystery
G'day bottom loco appears to have a fordson diesel (Major thru Power Major). Malcom Moore had an affiliation with ford and used a lot of their engines/machines as the base unit for their contraptions.

Jon

More
10 years 11 months ago #116169 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Tasmanian mystery
The Fordson diesel conversion was common. Puffing Billy Museum at Menzies Creek has one. It got a 2nd one in bits and I think they purchased a ford V8 to put in it but the frame is badly bent and the wheels badly worn. As it is 2ft not 2ft 6in so not able to be used to make money to earn or contribute to its keep it may not be the top priority which is fair enough. Of course if someone comes up with the money for it that may change.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
9 years 8 months ago #116170 by raymond m
Replied by raymond m on topic Re: Tasmanian mystery
I think I can see the carby on that Ford V8, it looks like a skinny little single throat so the engine is most likely a
V8-60 Ford "Pilot".
can't see enough of the Fordson engine but it's more than likely a 4D-40 hp'

Time to create page: 0.485 seconds